Childrenswear Design (Online Short Course)
Kidswear has, for too long, been perceived by the fashion elite as a by-product of its adult counterpart. Now, most luxury brands are launching kidswear collections alongside adult fashion, and young and emerging specialist brands are approaching kidswear design with a mix of sophistication and fun. This course will teach you about this exciting, growing market, provide the technical skills to create stunning designs, and result in a comprehensive kidswear project to be presented in a portfolio.
- Key players on the international scene of Childrenswear
- Moodboards and extracting colour palettes from them
- Fabrics, details and design shapes for the kidswear market
- Prints for the kidswear market
- Flat drawings from templates
- Silhouette Design
- Prints for the kidswear market
By the end of the course you will;
- Understand the Kidswear Market and know its major players
- Recognise how successful Kidswear ranges are put together
- Know how to root your designs in the specific world of childhood, rather than making children mini versions of adults
- Complete your own observational research
- Produce a comprehensive kidswear project to present in your portfolio
- Present your finished project to the group
Who is Childrenswear Design (Online) for
The course is excellent if you are considering a career in Childswear or want to get a better understanding of the emerging kidswear market. The course is a beginner level course.
Please note: the course if for students aged over 18
Why choose a CSM Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. Additionally all CSM Online Short Courses include
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- CSM Certificate upon completion
Visit Frequently Asked Questions for further details about preparing for your online course, including any equipment you need.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To compare times, please check World Time Buddy.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Please note that Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
Florence Blall, studied fashion design and pattern cutting in France before completing her BA Fashion Design with menswear at Central Saint Martins. She has worked as designer for the like of Paul Smith and Kenzo, and as head designer for British kidswear label No Added Sugar. She is currently freelancing in both design and teaching in France as well as launching her own business.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
- Fashion (both kids and adults), photography, interior design etc. magazines that can be used to create moodboards
- Small cuttings of solid colour fabrics or yarns to create colour palettes
- Art materials that you feel confident drawing and colouring-up designs and silhouettes with (pencils, felt-tips, pantone markers, water-colours etc.)