Womenswear Design Online Short Course
This course is an introduction to womenswear design that will teach you about designing clothes, finding inspiration anywhere and starting your own fashion collection. You will learn about the process of clothing design and how to research and develop your own collections.
On this practical course you will create fashion drawings and moodboards, helping you identify your unique style and aesthetic. Research is a vital part of the garment making process so this course has a focus on research techniques. You will learn where to find inspiration and how to create fabric and colour boards.
By the end of the course you will know how to take your textile designs from concept to research and how to get ideas for details, fabric design, colours, trends and silhouettes. You will also explore the business side of creating a womenswear brand, from market positioning to promotion.
Each week your tutor will set you tasks to complete, so which could be to develop your sketches or document inspiration that you come across in your everyday life. You will learn through lively discussion, tutor Q&As, practical tasks, looking at research project examples and carrying out your own independent research.
This course will give you the necessary skills to continue researching and developing collections. By the end of the course you will have produced a series of final sketches, which you can add to your portfolio before applying for a degree course or even starting your own label.
By the end of the course you will have;
- Created a series of final womenswear design sketches
- Expanded your portfolio
- Knowledge of how to effectively carry out research for a womenswear collection
- Created colour and fabric boards
- Created research pages
Who is Womenswear Design (Online Short Course) for?
This course is for anyone with a keen interest in womenswear who would like to learn fashion design, develop their portfolio and improve their technical knowledge to apply for fashion design degree course or even to launch your own womenswear brand.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time.
Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
- Exploring research in design
- Brief history of womenswear from 1840s to present day
- Fashion drawing and drawing techniques
- Understanding details in womenswear design
- Decoding an image
- How to start a fashion collection
- How to find inspiration
- Mind mapping and moodboards
- Primary and secondary research
- Branding and logos
- Market positioning
- Creating customer boards
- Creating colour and fabric boards
- Product range planning
- Pricing and where to sell
- Promotion and market positioning
- Creating research pages
- Process from design to runway
- Process from runway to customer
- Trend forecasting
- Creating your final sketches
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please have the following materials/equipment for the first class:
- Notepad and pen
In addition to the materials listed above, you will need:
- A recent computer with a recent operating system
- An up-to-date web browser. (It would be advisable to ensure you have access to two separate web browsers eg Safari and Mozilla Firefox or
- Google Chrome and Internet Explorer)
- Microphone (a headset with microphone/headphones is recommended)
Meet the Tutor:
This online short course will develop your understanding of the key concepts in womenswear design, helping you identify your own unique style. The hands-on course will help you develop research techniques and create your own fashion portfolio.