Fashion Design and Making: Residential Summer School for 13 to 16 Year Olds
If you are considering a career in fashion design then this exciting fashion course will offer insight into how designers research, record and communicate their ideas.
You will start the week with a trip to a London museum or current exhibition, accompanied by LCF tutors who will guide you in creating your own sketchbook full of research and inspiration.
Back in the classroom, you’ll use the collected research to begin creating your own designs on paper, you’ll then select your chosen design /detail and develop these onto mannequin stands to create sculptural outfits.
You’ll move on to look at fashion figures and how to create your own templates which you will then use to draw outfits inspired from the work on the stand. For the second week you will be working with a purchased skirt pattern and be taught how to decipher the many markings and terminology as well as how to layout and prepare your fabric. You’ll also be shown how to use the sewing machines and what types of stitches to use to assemble your skirt.
Finally you’ll also be introduced to a variety of embellishment techniques such as fabric manipulation, applique and beading, which you can then select to decorate your skirt. Please note this course is focused on womenswear design and making so all students will be making a skirt.
During the course you will be taken on a trip to London for a retail safari led by an LCF tutor. You’ll be taken to markets and vintage stores to experience the latest trends and styles on the streets of London.
This course will allow you to experiment with new techniques, build confidence, acquire new skills and be inspired to learn more. It's also a great way to meet like-minded friends from around the world.
In addition, you'll leave the course with:
- Sketchbook full of ideas and inspiration
- Final mood board including figure templates
- A selection of embellishment samples
- Completed hand embellished garment
- Fashion drawing: learning to capture movement and gestures
- Drawing clothes from a stand onto templates: understanding drape and volume
- Mood boards: colour, theme and style
- Fashion illustration: developing your own drawing style
- Understanding a shop bought pattern: marking and laying
- Introduction to using a domestic sewing machine: what stitches to use with what fabric
- Investigating various embellishment techniques: fabric manipulation, applique, beading and hand stitching
- Customising your own garment
- Garment assembly: sewing, pressing and finishing techniques
Please bring the following items with you to each class:
- Laptop/ iPad/ tablet
- Notebook and pen
Meet the Tutor:
This Residential Fashion Design and Making Summer School for teenagers will allow you to experiment with new techniques, build confidence, acquire new skills and be inspired to learn more.