Short subject related lectures introduce daily practice-based activities to help contextualise each stage of the creative process from concept to implementation. Individual tasks provide the opportunity for students to explore and experiment whilst developing their own creative skills and knowledge. Introducing students to core visual communication techniques using brainstorming, sketching, visual referencing and research will provide you with the creative tool kit needed to create a unique brand identity that will communicate your offer and differentiate you from your competitors.
NOTE: The course structure encourages a hands-on, collaborative approach to creative thinking in a relaxed, supportive environment through practice-based making, tutor led discussion, peer reviews and group feedback. Students are encouraged to work at their own level, combining digital and analogue techniques that focus on creative concepts rather than level of finish. Basic Mac computer skills are essential as software training is not provided.
Who should take this course?
Anyone wishing to develop conceptual branding and visual communication skills in an experimental, practical, collaborative environment.
- Create an authentic personal or commercial brand for activation beyond the course
- Receive expert advice and guidance to encourage experimentation and development of your practice
- Develop your branding and identity skills for portfolio or professional development
- Explore the creative process while working collaboratively with others
Entry requirements: No design experience required. This course does not provide software training, basic Mac skills are essential.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
If no dates are showing then please sign up to our mailing list to find out about upcoming dates and new course developments.
The course explores the key aspects of designing and applying a brand identity for personal or commercial use over 5 clearly defined stages:
- Visual research and analysis of the market to define your audience, offer and positioning. Brainstorming and mind mapping exercises will help generate your brand name and strapline, helping define your business whilst contextualising your offer or service in the marketplace.
- Creating mood boards to clarify your brands personality and visual language. Exploration, analysis and visual referencing of graphic/typographic elements will help define your visual language whilst developing your understanding of visual communication skills. These boards will inform your direction and provide the basis for initial brand concepts.
- Branding ideation will help you develop a strong concept driven brand identity that is authentic and timeless. Brainstorming with your peers to develop your creative thinking without technical restraints will encourage a conceptual rather than style driven approach using sketches and visual references. Group feedback will inform your direction, enabling you to confidently explore a range of logo concepts.
- Editing and developing your logo through further exploration of typography, graphic elements, pattern and colour to refine your identity in the form of a branding toolkit or brand guidelines. Visual references will support your thinking to communicate your brand concept and tone of voice. Group reviews will inform development and aid selection of your final brand marque.
- Exploring relevant graphic, illustrative or photographic styles to accompany your brand marque, visualisation and annotation will bring your brand identity to life. Defining your brands flexible visual identity system, you will explore application across multiple formats to retain audience engagement in preparation for finalisation and activation after the course concludes.
<p><strong>Please bring the following materials with you on the first day:</strong></p><ul> <li>2 - 3 examples of your previous work, which may help to inform your development</li></ul><ul> <li>Sketchbook (no larger than A3)</li></ul><ul> <li>Selection of drawing pencils (H/HB/2B)</li></ul><ul> <li>Any other drawing materials you are comfortable working with, such as charcoal</li></ul><ul> <li>Colour materials you are comfortable using (e.g. coloured pencils, felt tips, watercolours etc)</li></ul><ul> <li>Eraser and pencil sharpener</li></ul><ul> <li>Clear plastic ruler 30cm</li></ul><ul> <li>1GB USB memory stick</li></ul><ul> A Laptop, or iPad/tablet is required to participate in all elements of the course.
If bringing a laptop, please note that it would be an advantage to have Adobe Creative Cloud installed. If you do not already have Adobe Creative Cloud, you can sign up for a free 7 day trial of Adobe Creative Cloud. Please note a credit card is required to register for the free trial. The subscription must be cancelled on the date provided by Adobe if you do not wish to continue onto a paid account. The free software, Krita or GMIP may be appropriate as a backup.
If you are bringing an iPad, you may wish to install Procreate