Presessional English for Unconditional Offers
English language preparation for students with an unconditional offer for an undergraduate or postgraduate course at UAL.
Unconditional Presessional is a specialist academic English language preparatory programme for students with an unconditional offer for either an undergraduate or postgraduate course at University of the Arts London.
Unconditional Presessional is designed to help those who have already met the minimum language entrance requirements for their main course, prepare for their studies at UAL and help them make an easier transition to their main course.
We have prepared some important guidance to help you to apply for Unconditional Presessional. If you still have any questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Important course updates (9 July 2019)
Unconditional Presessional applications are now closed.
For advice about alternative English courses at UAL, please email email@example.com.
Great reasons to apply
- Unconditional Presessional is an excellent opportunity for you to network with other students before you join your main course. Learning and collaborating with others is a great opportunity to build social and creative relationships.
- Presessional courses offer you much more than any IELTS course. Although Presessional and IELTS courses both have assessments which test students on their speaking, listening, reading and writing skills, Presessional also focuses on preparing students for their university studies. All Presessional courses give you a head start in immersing yourself in life at UAL and in London. You will likely find that study in the UK is very different to the education you have experienced in other countries. Presessional gives you the opportunity to become a more confident and independent student in the UK and at UAL. For a comparison between Presessional and IELTS courses, see the Presessional and Exam Preparation Course Comparison (PDF 94KB)
- Unconditional Presessional students are not assessed formally at the end of the course, unlike the Presessional courses we offer for students with conditional main course offers. This means the students on Unconditional Presessional can focus on improving their language exclusively, without having to consider the pressure of preparing for examination at the end of the course.
The syllabus focuses on the language and skills that you will need in Higher Education, including specific skills for courses at University of the Arts London.
You will use a range of materials on the course including core materials compiled by tutors who also deliver English language support for students studying main courses at UAL. The materials include a mixture of academic texts, essays, journals, newspaper articles, essays, film, and online materials sourced from writing and media within the fields of fashion, art, design, and communication.
Presessional lessons take place Monday to Friday for 4 hours per day, in either the morning or afternoon as per the timetable for your course (a total of 20 hours per week). We want to help you to become a confident and independent student so we will regularly give you additional homework and self-study tasks.
You will be expected to do approximately 8-10 hours of self-study per week.
You will be able to use all of the university facilities including the libraries and IT facilities and university staff will be on hand to show you how to use them.
You will have one-to-one tutorials with your tutor to discuss your progress and receive advice on your studies. There will also be workshops to help you adapt to living in the UK and studying at UAL.
In the first few days of the course you will be given induction presentations from a variety of university services. You will be given information on health, housing, banking and Tier 4 visa applications.
We suggest that you investigate UK banking options before arriving. Each bank has different requirements and you are responsible for researching these before requesting a reference letter from the Presessional Office.
Location and class size
This course is taught at the Foundation Centre, part of Camberwell College of Arts with a maximum class size of 18 students.
Presessional is taught by experienced English language tutors. They all have a diploma or equivalent level ELT/TESOL qualification and some also have an MA in Linguistics or Visual Arts.
We ask that all students bring a tablet or laptop computer for research and assignment work.
Your class may be in the morning, afternoon or evening. It is therefore important that you do not make other commitments, including accepting work, until you receive your timetable.
You are required to attend at least 90% of the course otherwise you may be asked to leave. Do not arrange holidays during the course. If you are absent due to sickness for more than 3 consecutive days you will be asked to provide a certificate from an NHS doctor.
- You can only join Unconditional Presessional if you have an unconditional offer for a UAL undergraduate or postgraduate main course starting in academic year 2019/20. We offer separate Presessional courses for students who need to improve their English level in order to meet the language requirement of their main course at UAL. Please read more about our Presessional Programme for further details.
- A valid 4-skills English test result, which you must provide on application to Presessional – we do not accept UK degree qualifications on entry to Presessional as a degree qualification does not confirm English level in reading, writing, listening and speaking. Please also note we also do not accept multiple language results used in combination for entry to Presessional courses.
- You can only join Unconditional Presessional if you are a new student at UAL - students who are currently enrolled on a main course at UAL in academic year 2018/19 cannot join Unconditional Presessional.
How to apply
You can apply through your UAL applicant portal.
Places on our Unconditional Presessional course are limited, so we advise you to apply as early as possible in order to secure a place. This is a popular course and there is no guarantee that places will still be available by the application deadline.
Students under 18
If you will be under the age of 18 at the beginning of Unconditional Presessional, you will additionally need to submit a completed Parent and Guardian Agreement (PDF 35KB) prior to application for Unconditional Presessional. We cannot process your application until we receive this.
For full guidance about what we will require of you in addition to your application, please refer to our FAQs (PDF 186KB) document.
The application form will require you to provide information about your:
- IELTS certificate
- Any past UK study visa documents (including visa refusal documents)
If you have made several applications to multiple main courses at UAL, this may delay us processing your Presessional application. Please see our FAQs (PDF 186KB) for information about how to avoid delays to your application. Please note however, if you intend to apply for a Tier 4 combined visa, you cannot have any more than one active main course application at the point of applying to Unconditional Presessional.
Which visa should I apply for?
Tier 4 visa
You must take an IELTS for UKVI test if you want to study Unconditional Presessional under a Tier 4 visa that covers Presessional only. Other internationally recognised certificates may be accepted if you will not be studying Presessional under a Tier 4 visa.
If you have a certificate other than IELTS, please contact the Presessional office well in advance to check whether this can be accepted as proof of English level (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Students who wish to study under a Tier 4 visa, please note – if you are eligible to study under Tier 4, it may be possible for you to receive a combined CAS which covers study on Presessional and your main university course at UAL.
Tier 4 Combined visa
In order to be eligible to apply for a Tier 4 Combined visa (a visa to cover Unconditional Presessional + your main course), you do not need to submit an IELTS for UKVI, however, will need will need to meet all of the following additional conditions:
- Your Presessional course is less than 3 months in length
- Your only offer condition is to meet the required English level for your main course
- Your main academic course is at BA level or above (NQF 6 or above)
- The gap between the end of Presessional and the start of your main academic course at UAL is no more than 28 days in length
- Your main course is not subject to validation.
If you are eligible to study under Tier 4 but you do not meet all of the conditions above, you will either have to submit an IELTS for UKVI in support of a Tier 4 Presessional-only CAS, or apply to study under a Short-Term Student visa.
Short Term Student visa
You do not need to provide an IELTS for UKVI in order to be eligible to study Presessional under a Short Term Student visa. Forms of language evidence you can provide in order to meet the Presessional entrance requirements include: standard IELTS result certificate, UAL Progress Test, Pearson Test result (PTE).
If you have a certificate other than those listed above, please contact the Presessional office well in advance to check whether this can be accepted as proof of English level (email: email@example.com).
If you study Presessional under a Short Term Student visa, you will need to return to your home country. This rule applies whether you pass or fail Presessional. If you pass Presessional, you will need to make your visa application for your main course only once you return back to your home country.
To learn more information about each visa type please see the UK government guidance on student visa types.
What happens next?
Once you have submitted your application, we will review it and you will receive the outcome of your application through the UAL Applicant Portal in due course. We aim to make a decision about each student’s application as quickly as possible. In order to make sure your application is processed quickly, make sure to submit a complete application as early as you can.
Dates, fees and additional costs
Course dates: 29 July – 30 August 2019
Please note the University will be closed on Monday 26 August 2019, which is a national bank holiday.
Application deadline: 4 July 2019
Applications will not be considered after this date.
Enrolment deadline: 1 August 2019
Students will not be allowed to join the course after the enrolment deadline.
The fee for this course is £2,000.
Please note that if you are made an offer to study Presessional, you will be required to provide evidence of having paid this fee to UAL within 5 working days of being made the offer.
Insurance, provided by the company Endsleigh, is included in your tuition. The policy starts 6 days before your course start date and ends 6 days after the last day of your course. The policy covers medical emergencies, theft and many other things.
Please note: we are currently reviewing some of the details of our Endsleigh insurance policy. If you have any questions about your insurance cover, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Endsleigh Insurance Policy 2019 (PDF 618KB)
- Endsleigh Insurance Statement of Insurance 2019 (PDF 317KB)
- Endsleigh Insurance Product Information 2019 (PDF 199KB)
You may be required to buy some art materials for the London Project at the end of the course. Students typically spend around £30-£50 on materials for this project, but the cost may vary depending on your choice of medium.
During the course you will attend various class trips which will require you taking public transport at your own cost. Fare prices are available on the Transport for London website.
Please read the information on our additional costs.
Your next steps
If you would like to make an application to study Unconditional Presessional, you will need to do the following:
- Make sure you know which UAL main course you want to study. Remember: if you intend to apply for Tier 4 combined CAS, you can only have one main course application. You will need to withdraw any other UAL main course applications (or decline any other UAL main course offers) if you have multiple main course applications.
- Decide which visa you want to apply for. Remember to refer to our Presessional Visa information 2019 (PDF 149KB) for information about what each visa type requires you to prepare.
- Submit an application for Unconditional Presessional making sure to include all requested information.