How to apply for Pre-sessional
1. Submit your UAL main course application.
- Main course examples: Foundation Diploma, BA Advertising, MA Fine Art
- Submit your main course application in the UAL Applicant Portal (or UCAS Dashboard).
- After you submit, Pre-sessional application links will appear in the Portal.
2. Choose your Pre-sessional course
Check your eligibility
Learn if you’re eligible for Pre-sessional and which course you should apply for.
For help, use our Eligibility questionnaire.
Choose a delivery mode
Some of our courses are campus; some are online; and some are offered either on campus or online.
For 9 Week Pre-sessional you must study either entirely on campus or online. You can’t combine delivery modes.
Delivery modes explained
On campus courses:
3. Choose a visa type
For on campus Pre-sessional courses only
Two visa types are available for on campus Pre-sessional:
- Standard Visitor visa
- Student visa
- UAL Pre-sessional Visas and immigration guidance
Online Pre-sessional is delivered remotely and does not require a visa. Students will attend online sessions from their home country.
Your visa eligibility depends on your English test:
Tests allowed for Standard Visitor visa
Tests allowed for Student visa
4. Submit your Pre-sessional application
Log into the UAL Applicant Portal. Click on the pink Pre-sessional application link.
Your application must be complete before we can process it.
If you need help, watch our How to apply for Pre-sessional video.
After you submit, you will receive an email confirming we received your application. However, we won’t process your application until you have received and accepted your main course offer in the UAL Applicant Portal (or UCAS Dashboard).
This video will take you through the steps to make your Pre-sessional application.
5. Pre-sessional offer
After we process your application, we will do one of the following:
- Send you an offer for the Pre-sessional course you applied for.
- Send you an offer for a different Pre-sessional course.
- Inform you that you are not eligible for Pre-sessional.
You have 5 working days to:
- accept your offer in the UAL Applicant Portal,
- pay your Pre-sessional fee using Flywire. Flywire is a quick, easy, and secure way to pay. Instructions are on your Pre-sessional offer letter.
If you don’t respond within 5 working days, we will withdraw the offer. If you don’t want to join Pre-sessional, decline your offer under the ‘my applications’ tab in the UAL Applicant Portal.
6. Booking confirmation
After we confirm your payment, we will email you a booking confirmation.
The booking confirmation guarantees your place on the course.
Please don’t book flights or accommodation until you receive the booking confirmation.
8. Changes, cancellations, and refunds
To change course (including online / on campus changes) before you accept your offer…
Email firstname.lastname@example.org. We will advise you if a change is possible.
To change course (including online / on campus changes) after you accept your offer…
Decline your current offer in the UAL Applicant Portal. Then submit a new application for a different course.
Applications are processed in the order they are received. You are not guaranteed a new offer.
Cancellations and refunds
To cancel your Pre-sessional application before receiving an offer...
Withdraw your application in the UAL Applicant Portal.
To cancel your Pre-sessional offer before you accept your offer…
Decline your offer in the UAL Applicant Portal.
To cancel your Pre-sessional booking after you accept your offer…
Email email@example.com. Check our Terms and Conditions to see if you’re eligible for a refund.
On Campus with Student visa only:
Email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can’t get a CAS for another UAL Pre-sessional course.