Skip to main content
UAL Arts Temps

Guidance for EU, EEA, Swiss and International Students

We know that understanding how to apply for a job in a new country can be very confusing. But finding work with Arts Temps can be a great way to meet new people and settle in to life in London. Read how Masters student and Arts Temp Daniele Nolè felt like he became part of the UAL community through working at Arts Temps.

There are a lot of questions you may have about working in the UK, here you can find some answers and guidance to help you. If you still have questions or want to talk to the UAL Arts Temps team, you can email us at

Arts Temp happily working

When you can work for Arts Temps

As an EU, EEA or Swissand International student, can I work for Arts Temps??

Yes you can! Like all students and alumni working for Arts Temps you’ll just have to complete a Right to Work check before you start a job.

What is a Right to Work check? Do I need to do anything?

Every individual is subjected to a Right to Work check, even UK citizens. You’ll be instructed to arrange a video call on Teams and to have your original documents to hand so that we can check that you’re eligible to work in the UK. For more information read advice on the government website.

I graduate in the summer can I continue working for Arts Temps?

You can continue working through Arts Temps up until your visa expires. Also note that you may still be subjected to a weekly hourly limit. You also may be able to apply for a graduate visa. Please find more information about your options after completing your course on UAL website.

Does my working with Arts Temps change if I applied to the EU Settlement Scheme and I obtained Pre-settled or Settled status?

If you have settled or pre-settled status, you can choose to use that status to prove your right to work. You must email Arts Temps with your Share Code.

How many hours can I work each week?

Your visa will clearly state the number of hours you can work during term-time. If you are studying at degree level, you should find that the visa states that you are permitted to work a maximum of 20 hours per week during term time. If you are studying below degree level (for example if you are studying a foundation diploma programme), you should find that you are restricted to working a maximum of 10 hours per week during term time. You must not exceed these working hours as this would be a breach of your immigration conditions.

Do I need to monitor the number of hours I work each week?

Absolutely, you are responsible for monitoring the number of hours you work each week during term time. PG students are restricted to weekly hours limit all year round. You must also make sure that any other work you have outside of Arts Temps does not breach your weekly hours limit. Your immigration status is at risk if you breach your working hours.

Visa, passports and BRP cards

I’m a student on a Tier 4 (General) or Student visa - can I be a temp?

Yes, your visa allows you to work a certain number of hours a week during term time, you’ll need to check your visa. Even for remote working roles you’ll need to be based in the UK. Postgraduate students are restricted to work up to the weekly hours limit all year round.

I’m a student on a different type of visa, can I work with Arts Temps?

Other types of visas don’t have weekly hours limits, but you may be subjected to other restrictions. Check your documentation to be certain. If your visa states ‘No work’ or ‘Work prohibited’ it means that you are not permitted to work in the UK.

My visa is due to expire, can you help me apply for a new visa? Can you sponsor me for a Tier 1 / 2 visa?

No, unfortunately UAL Arts Temps is unable to support you with a new visa application. Please see the UAL support and guidance for immigration and visas.

I’ve lost my passport and/or BRP card can I still work?

You will be unable to work for UAL Arts Temps until you have received new documents. If you have lost your BRP card you must report it to the Home Office and you’ll be issued a new one.

If you are in the UK and your passport is lost or stolen, you must report this to the UK police and make an application for a replacement passport. You do this by contacting your country's Embassy, Consulate, High Commission or passport office in the UK.

Once you have received your replacement BRP card or passport please let us know as we will need to complete a new Right to Work check with your new documents.

Your National Insurance number

What is a National Insurance number?

Your National Insurance number (often referred to as NI number or NINo) is a unique personal number which is used to record your National Insurance contributions. You do not need to have a National Insurance number before starting work, but you must obtain one when you get a job.

You pay mandatory National Insurance if you’re 16 or over and are an employee earning above £183 a week.

For more information read the advice on the government website.

How do I get a National Insurance number?

You apply for a National Insurance number by calling 0800 141 2075. You might be sent a letter, asking you to attend an appointment. If this happens, the letter will list the documents you will need to bring to the appointment. You usually need to take your passport, payslips or a letter from your employer confirming that you will be working for them. Your appointment will take place at your nearest Jobcentre Plus office.

For more information read the advice on the government website.

Can I work without a National Insurance number?

Legally, you can start work without a National Insurance number but you should apply for one as soon as you can and follow the advice given to you by the National Insurance office or HMRC.

If you do not have a National Insurance number you can still sign up to Arts Temps. When signing up please provide XX123456X as a temporary number, but make sure to apply for one as soon as possible and update your Arts Temps profile.

I have a query about pensions/tax/National Insurance contributions, who should I speak to?

Any questions you may have relating to pensions, payroll or tax should be directed to our payroll provider, Phase3. Contact them via email: or call them via: 0800 321 3032.