Drawing and Painting for Textile Design
Working on paper, you’ll learn some core drawing and painting skills essential to achieve good results in textile design. Whether you are a beginner or have some experience, you’ll explore a variety of techniques and strategies that you can use to refine and develop your ideas...
Taught by: Dominique L'Olive.
Working on paper, you’ll learn some core drawing and painting skills essential to achieve good results in textile design. Whether you are a beginner or have some experience, you’ll explore a variety of techniques and strategies that you can use to refine and develop your ideas. You'll work with a range of media and discover how to create and design a textile print from scratch.
- How to research for a textile project
- Designing patterns from a blank piece of paper to a finished design
- Constructing your own patterns
- Designing repeats
- Stencilling and creating your own stamps
- How to use different types of ink
- Exploring textile and fashion trends and using them as inspiration for your ideas
By the end of the course you will have a body of work on paper that can be included in a design portfolio. You will have a series of designs that you can take to print.
Who should take this course?
- Anyone with and interest on textiles including beginners
- Those who wish to refresh and develop their skills further
- Students thinking of applying for further studies who need to improve their skills and portfolio
Entry requirements: None
The course is an opportunity for you to:
- Practice a variety of paint and drawing techniques on paper
- Develop your designs from initial idea through to finished concept
- Use visual research as a source of inspiration for your designs
- Learn how to present your work
- Build a body of work that can be used for supporting applications and interviews
After completion of this course, you have two progression routes:
- If you want to focus on learning how to translate your work on paper onto fabrics, you should take our Textiles Portfolio Workshop course.
- You could also consider taking our Creative Portfolio in Textiles evening course, where you'll work in both paper and fabric, and which includes alternate sessions using the heat press.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
After completing a degree in Fashion Textiles at Central Saint Martins, Dominique L'Olive moved on to be a studio manager where she developed and created designs for the UK, Japan and the US. She has since worked with many different companies such as the V&A, Jigsaw, Style Council and Dorothy Perkins, producing a range of textile designs. Dominique currently works as a freelance textile and surface pattern designer and teaches on a range of textile courses at the University of the Arts London.
Please bring with you to the first session:
- A4 sketchbook
- Glue stick
- Water jar
- Windsor & Newton Gouache Starter Pack or acrylics
- Selection of painting brushes
- Selection of coloured pencils
- Selection of coloured felt tips
- HB pencil
On this course you will be given a project brief to design a textile collection for a specific purpose.
In order to fulfil the brief in the time given it is essential that you conduct some preliminary visual research beforehand. So the most important part is to decide a theme which may be simple ie. flowers, fruit, or more abstract ie. time, space, movement, or an ethnic theme ie. Indian or African art, etc. Primarily the subject needs to be something that you find interesting. When you have decided upon your theme, gather together drawings, images from magazines or postcards, colours, small pieces of fabric, packaging etc - anything that you feel will inspire you and keep your interest during the course. These materials will be used to make a 'storyboard' which will form the basis of your design collection.
Details for booking
|Date||Day of Week||Time||Duration||Cost||Status||Location||Action|
|09/01/2018 - 13/03/2018||Tuesdays||18:30 - 21:00||10 Weeks||£545||Available||Granary Sq. - N1C||Add to Basket|
|19/03/2018 - 23/03/2018||Monday to Friday||10:00 - 16:00||1 Week||£545||Available||Granary Sq. - N1C||Add to Basket|
|13/08/2018 - 17/08/2018||Monday to Friday||10:00 - 16:00||1 Week||£580||Available||Granary Sq. - N1C||Add to Basket|