Draping Womenswear Design (Online)
Draping is an intuitive, playful and enjoyable way for anyone to create fashion ideas and garments. By working with fabric and pins on a dummy you can experiment and visualise your ideas quickly, and find inspiration without having to spend time making finished pieces...
Taught by: Jeanette Osterried.
Draping is an intuitive, playful and enjoyable way for anyone to create fashion ideas and garments. By working with fabric and pins on a dummy you can experiment and visualise your ideas quickly, and find inspiration without having to spend time making finished pieces. This online course will teach you to drape skilfully, and you will get a deep understanding of how various fabrics can be manipulated by twisting, folding, gathering and layering to produce the most amazing results.
In this course you will learn different aspects of draping:
- Creative draping and 3D experimentation to explore your creativity and develop your design sense
- Marking your draped design in order to create patterns
- Fashion design development and creating a fashion collection based on your draped work
During the course your tutor will introduce you to a number of draping techniques. Those techniques will form the basis of your invaluable design tools whether you aim to design clothes for yourself or high-end fashion collections.
- How to research
- Which and how much fabric to use
- Draping creatively
- Draping a skirt
- Draping a top
- Draping with bias detail
- Draping and design
- Deb, former student
By the end of the course you will be able to create your own research before you start to drape and sketch. You will learn how to work in a sketchbook as well as work with fabric on a dummy to build up your ideas for shape and detail. You will also learn how to create designs you can add to your portfolio whether you want to apply for a fashion design course or a job in the industry.
Who is Draping Womenswear Design (Online) for
This course allows you to develop draping techniques, which are essential to a career in Fashion design. Therefore, this course will be useful to anyone considering a career in Fashion, or current designers or students who want to revisit this key area.
Level: All levels welcome
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Why choose a CSM Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. Additionally all CSM Online Short Courses include;
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- CSM Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
- dummy-figure (example)
- 7 meters of light weight calico (at least 1,60m wide)
- digital camera
- fabric scissors
- tape measure
- felted pens
- dressmakers tape or ribbon