Laser Cutting For Textile Design
Discover how laser cutting can add a new dimension to your existing textile design abilities. Starting with hand drawings, in this beginners course you will work on a variety of designs in a range of fabrics. Plus, you will finish the course with a comprehensive design portfolio of laser cut samples and pieces.
The course begins with you feeding your line drawings into Adobe Illustrator. You will turn your drawings into designs that can be laser cut in a variety of materials including cotton, silk, velvet, wool, polyester, leather, suede, wood veneer and acrylic.
You will receive individual tuition, encouragement and technical support.
The work produced on this course will make an exciting and unique addition to a portfolio.
Topics covered include:
- The ability to create laser cut projects using Illustrator and Photoshop
- Using laser cutting technology to produce original designs for garments and accessories
- Laser cutting your designs onto a variety of materials
Entry requirements: None
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Laura Baker is an experienced lecturer in the Textiles programme at Central Saint Martins as well as specialist in 2D print and surface pattern for Fashion and Textiles. She has worked as a textile designer in industry and on a freelance basis for fashion and interiors companies internationally. She is also author of the publication 'Laser Cutting for Fashion and Textiles'.
Please bring with you to the first session:
- Sketchbook with personal visual references and inspirations, such as drawings, photographs, cut-outs from magazines etc
- Fabric swatches that inspire you.
- Basic materials are supplied, but students may wish to bring their own material for cutting.
IMPORTANT - Adobe ID Login for Short Course Students
Students will need to create an account with Adobe (unless you already have one) in order to access the Adobe suite at the college – instructions are included below. You will need to use a personal email address to create this. If you already have an account with Adobe, please make sure you bring your login details with you on the first day of the course.
- Creating an Adobe account is free.
- The software will only be accessible when logged into a UAL networked computer
- The same account can be used outside of the University, but software will only be accessible through a personal paid subscription that students will need to set up independently
- You can still create an account on the day but doing this beforehand will save time and avoid delays to the start of the class.
- If you already have an Adobe ID/ subscription you can use this on your short course rather than setting up a new account.
To create an account students will need to:
- Go to Adobe Sign in page.
- Select ‘Create an account’
- Enter your details and select ‘Create account’