Interviewing for News and Features
Interviewing is a vital skill for journalists. Our Interviewing for News and Features short course shows you how to get the best quotes from your interviewees that will keep both editors and readers satisfied. You will be shown how to deal with those who are shy or difficult, how to use those quotes in your story and how to make the most of your interview time. If you want to write news and features for newspapers, magazines or newsletters, this course will help you with the practical tools you need.
- Getting the most from your interviewees
- Dealing with difficult interviewees
- How to frame your questions Interview editing
- Interview technique
- Use of body language
- Deciding which quotes to use
- How to use your quotes within the story including punctuation
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- Understand how to conduct interviews effectively
- Understand how to write up your quotes
- Feel more confident in your interviewing style
- Ask simple and difficult questions with ease
Who Should Attend
Journalists and those looking to learn or improve news interviewing skills.
Follow Up Courses
After you have completed this course you may want to go on and develop your writing skills with Effective Writing for Journalists or build your online presence with Social Media Marketing.
We also offer bespoke news interviewing and journalism courses for groups, individuals and businesses. To find out more, visit our Customised Training page or view a Sky: News Interviewing Skills Training case study..
Tony Padman has been a journalist for local, regional, European and national newspapers since 1999. After spending five years in news, he moved to features specializing in stories on health, religion, sport and education. He now concentrates on entertainment journalism for the national newspapers.
This course will be taught by a respected industry expert.