Taught by experts in the latest digital trends, this digital design short course will introduce you to some of the industry’s processes and tools used to create digital products, while enabling you to see the bigger picture and explore how value is created in the digital world.
This hands-on course has been designed to help guide you through a digital design project, from brief to delivery, using practical examples of Agile processes, ideation, user experience and code, regardless of whether your output is screen-based or not.
You will gain insights into team processes, UX/UI design, collaboration tools and code. This short course will focus on teaching you how to apply design concepts and reveal current trends in digital design for those seeking to work within the digital space.
The course is aimed at people who have experience in the design and creative industries, and want to approach digital projects and teams with greater confidence.
At the end of the week you'll have the chance to propose digital solutions and apply what you've learned, by rapidly prototyping a design response to a project brief. You will also have the tools and understanding of how a digital project runs so you can confidently join digital teams.
Day 1 - Digital design
- Critical approach to digital design - communications & digital products
- The role of the designer
- Areas of action and interaction
- Agile process for digital products: fundamentals of Scrum & Kanban
Day 2 – Discovery: understanding before action
- Fundamentals of Lean UX design and design thinking
- Inclusive design and accessibility
- Understanding audiences, user needs and business goals
Day 3 - Sketching, wireframing, early design
- Defining the design problem and core functionality of the digital product
- Ideation, wireframing, sketching (pen and paper) user interfaces
- Illustrate the UI, from pen and paper to early digital sketch
- Validation via interactive prototype
Day 4 - Coding and Collaboration
- What is Open Source and the tools that make it possible (DVCS, git, GitHub, licenses)
- Code editing tools
- Working with developers, collaboration tool Github, and more
- 'Websites are apps’
- Modern workflows: responsive design, asset delivery etc
Day 5 - Prototyping
- Web-based implementation of the exercise
- Interaction design principles
- Game design primer
By the end of the course you should be able to:
- Understand what makes a project digital-led
- Understand the technologies involved and their role
- Be aware of the developments in digital design workflows and skills
- Identify/assign job roles and responsibilities
- Feed into the creative process of the design lifecycle of digital projects
- Plan, analyse and use your design research
- Design delightful digital products that people want to use
- Design with consideration for the requirements of different formats
- Your own laptop
- Sketch for Mac or Figma on PC
- Microsoft Visual Studio Code
- Git Tower
- GitHub account
- Unity 3D installed and running (including user registration)
Intermediate: you should have some prior design experience, but you do not need to have any previous digital experience. You may be:
- A senior graphic designer responsible for recruiting new staff and managing a digital design budget
- A designer starting to work with developers
- Returning to work after a break
- A freelancer seeking opportunities and network
- A designer looking to move to digital studios
- Looking to work on digital products
- In a project of delivery management role
Follow Up Courses
Our digital skills training courses are ideal if you started out in the pre-digital era - broaden your knowledge, employability skills and digital literacy for the digital economy.
Rafa Prada is a design consultant and founding partner at MADE ABROAD and co-founder of opt-out.eu. His work lies in the intersection of art, design and technology, specialising in digital and editorial products. He also works on projects for social, cultural and creative enterprises. Previous clients include Levi Strauss & Co, Nottingham Contemporary, RAF Museum and Alastair Marriott (ROH).
This course will be taught by a respected industry expert.