Business Start Up for Creatives Online Short Course
This course is for artists, makers, designers, photographers and image makers who wish to know about how to set up in business, and learn about the benefits of becoming self-employed. Did you know for instance that you can be employed and run an arts practice or design business at the same time? Did you know that if you freelance, sell work or need to gain commissions or run workshops on an ongoing basis you might need to gain legal trading status? But don’t panic!
This course will give you a concise overview of where to find sources of support, how to write a business plan, promote and identify a market for your artworks, designs, and creative skills. Other topics covered include raising awareness of legal issues, taxation, costing and pricing, what to charge and how to get paid.
The course includes a talk by a recently self-employed arts, design or lens-based start-up.
City law firm Laytons LLP is offering a free business name check and trade mark search to delegates on this course.
Who should take this course?
Artists, makers, designers, photographers or any other creative professionals wishing to develop their entrepreneurship skills.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain in easy to understand accessible English, if they use any special terminology we make sure they explain what it is they mean.
- New methodologies will be explained to you in a way that’s crystal clear and easy to understand.
- We even include live demonstrations of particular techniques so that you can see exactly how things should be done.
- We also offer a bunch of learning resources for you to access outside of the live lessons. This allows you to ensure you are up to date and you can practice and review the things that are important to you. Practice makes perfect after all!
Live interactive classrooms:
- We like to do things the right way, that's why all of our online classes are live, you won't find any recordings here (well apart from the recording we provide in case you miss a live session)
- Expect live interaction with your classmates from around the world, our students come from far and wide
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Discuss topics related to your course in real time via your microphone and camera or if you're not feeling brave, in the chat box
- Miss a class? Thats ok you can catch up in a recording which is available for 2 weeks after your course runs
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- However we always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are a great addition to your CV.
All our online short courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes as our face to face courses
- Lesson recordings, for review, so you never have to miss a class
- Access to the virtual learning environment with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access to the recordings of the live classroom sessions
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
- Raising awareness of current legal issues
- How to keep records
- Financial matters
- Taxation and invoicing
BONUS: City law firm Silverman Sherliker LLP is offering a free business name check and trademark search to delegates on this course. Additionally, for concept and idea protection, Creative Barcode offer a free 20 minute Q & A with CEO Maxine Horn on Skype and a massive discount off of its IP protection product including IP Tags, registration of work, file transfer service and much more. Available only to course attendees.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please bring to the session:
Meet the Tutor:
This intensive course is for those who want to learn how to set up in business. The course explores finding sources of support, how to start trading, trends, markets and self-promotion, plus more.