Planning and organising
Mind mapping tools
If you are a visual thinker and prefer to plan in a non-lineal way mind mapping tools can help:
- brainstorm ideas for your dissertation or research topic
- capture and visualise ideas
- create mind maps, concept maps and process flows
- write a study plan for your week or term
- use your mind map as a memory aid for revision.
MindView is available on all UAL PCs and Macs in our libraries and learning zones. Key features include:
- use templates or create your own
- attach files, pictures, lecture notes and links to web pages to your map
- organise and structure your essay
- plan your tasks over time using the timeline and Gantt chart
- export your mind map to Word to help you structure your essay.
Use the MindView LibGuide or visit iView Learning for video tutorials. Create an iView subscription
Inspiration helps you write down your ideas and plan your essays and projects.
It is available on all UAL PCs (Windows only). Use the Inspiration LibGuide or visit iView Learning for video tutorials.
Xmind is easy to use with a simple and clear layout. It's available on all UAL Macs and PCs and you can download a free version to your phone.
Access from a UAL computer
- Log in to the computer.
- Search for the app you need.
- If you can’t see the app you need, download it from ZENworks (Windows) or UAL Self Service (Mac).
- Locate the app from the Assistive Technology folder and install.
Note: The programs can take up to 20 minutes to install if they haven't been used before on the machines.
Use these easy tools to stay organised and follow the progress of your project.
Trello is a free web-based application that allows you to create a board for your project. Your projects are saved in the cloud, so all your devices are instantly updated and there's also a mobile app.
- Add lists and cards to the board
- Organise and manage your tasks
- Share your project and assign tasks to people in your group
To Do - Office 365
To Do, Office365 is integrated with Outlook on the web. It is also available as a free mobile app.
- Create lists of your daily tasks
- Create tasks from your flagged Outlook emails
- My Day daily planner lets you add tasks and prioritise by importance or due date
OneNote - Office 365
OneNote, Office 365 is a flexible digital notebook stored in the cloud allowing you to see your latest notes on any device. It is also available as a free mobile app.
- Create a notebook for each of your subjects or projects
- Write and edit your notes and create "to-do" lists
- Clip information from the web and save audio notes
- Getting started with OneNote
Notes is a useful app within your iPhone allowing you to add notes on the go. Your notes can include webpages, photographs, documents and audio notes. Use as a reminder of the library resources you want to check, things to do or ideas for projects