Dr Zoetanya Sujon
BiographyDr Zoetanya Sujon is a Senior Lecturer and Programme Director in Communications and Media at London College of Communication.
Zoetanya is a passionate educator and researcher, bringing her enthusiasm for knowledge and a learner-oriented style to the classroom, bridging practical exercises with complex theory and problem-solving skills.
Originally trained as a sociologist, Zoetanya draws from an interdisciplinary lens to teach and think through in-depth case studies, applied exercises and conceptual experiments. Zoetanya’s research interests broadly address the relationships between “new” or emerging technologies and social life, particularly as related to social change, political and social life and social theory.
Currently, these interests are based around four themes: social media, technologies and platform politics; the intersections between dataveillance, privacy and data rights; innovation and emerging technologies; and the impact of digital media on changing skill sets and digital literacies.Zoetanya’s recent work examines social technologies from many perspectives including:
- Dataveillance, surveillance and social technologies
- Data rights and young people
- Social credit systems, fintech and transformation of money
- Dominant social media, ‘big tech’, and platformization
- Digital futures and emerging media (e.g. virtual technologies)
- Social media, sharing culture and shifting privacies
- A 5 year study on the meaning of Facebook for young adults (2013-2017)
- Digital literacies and future
- On-going engagement with both established and innovative digital research methods and tools.
Zoetanya’s first book, 'The Social Media Age: Power and Participation in a Connected World', takes up these questions examining the impact of social platforms across political economic and cultural spheres (Sage, 2021).
Before joining LCC in 2018, Zoetanya completed her PhD in Media and Communications at the London School of Economics and Political Science, where she was also an LSE Fellow, lecturer, and research officer for the LSE Media Policy Project (2004-20010). From there, Zoetanya became a Senior Lecturer in Media and Communications at Regent’s University London (2010-2018) and she has also developed, taught and examined many courses at Carleton University, London School of Economics and Political Science, Goldsmiths University, and Birkbeck, University of London.
Zoetanya is keen to supervise PhD students interested in any aspect of social media, social technologies, surveillance and emerging media practices.
- Sujon Z, Dyer H. Understanding the Social in a Digital Age (2020)
- Sujon Z. Disruptive Play or Platform Colonialism? The Contradictory Dynamics of Google Expeditions and Educational Virtual Reality (2019)
- Sujon Z. The Triumph of Social Privacy: Understanding the Privacy Logics of Sharing Behaviors Across Social Media (2018)
- Sujon Z, Viney L, Toker-Turnalar E. Domesticating Facebook: The shift from compulsive connection to personal service platform (2018)
- Sujon Z. The Social Media Age (2021)
- Sujon Z. Facebook (2020)
- Sujon Z. Cambridge Analytica, Facebook, and Understanding Social Media Beyond the Screen (2019)
Conference, Symposium or Workshop item
- Sujon Z. The Rise of Platform Empires: Sociality as Mass Deception (2019)
Current research students
- Sylvia Albert-Vogl, The impact of social analytics and big data on television show production (Joint supervisor)
- Russell Merryman, The Transformation of Interactive Television (Joint supervisor)
Communication and graphic design
Journalism, PR, media and publishing