Dr Zoetanya Sujon
BiographyDr Zoetanya Sujon is Programme Director and Senior Lecturer in Communications and Media at London College of Communication.
Driven by a deep curiosity about digital culture, Zoetanya’s research interests broadly address the relationship between “new” technologies, emerging media practices, and socio-political culture. Questions about the connections between the technological and the cultural inform Zoetanya's research vision, particularly as related to social change, political and social life and social theory. Currently, these interests are based around four themes: social technologies and platform politics; the intersections between privacy and sharing culture; innovation and virtual technologies; and the impact of digital media on changing skill sets and digital literacies.
Zoetanya’s current work examines social technologies from many perspectives including:
- Data rights and young people
- Surveillant technologies
- Sharing culture and shifting privacies
- Emerging technologies (e.g. virtual reality)
- Meaning and use of Facebook for young adults (2013-2017)
- Digital literacies and designing for the future
- On-going engagement with both established and innovative digital research methods and tools.
Trained as a sociologist at Carleton University, Zoetanya completed her PhD in Media and Communications at the London School of Economics and Political Science, where she was also an LSE Fellow, lecturer, and research officer for the LSE Media Policy Project (2004-2010). Before joining LCC, Zoetanya was a Senior Lecturer in Media and Communications at Regent’s University London and she has also developed, taught and examined many courses at Carleton University, London School of Economics and Political Science, Goldsmiths University, and Birkbeck, University of London (see sujonz.wordpress.com for details).
Zoetanya is also writing her first book, 'The Social Media Age: Power and Participation in a Connected World', which takes up these questions examining the impact of social platforms across political economic and cultural spheres (Sage, publication 2019).
- Sujon Z. Disruptive Play or Platform Colonialism? The Contradictory Dynamics of Google Expeditions and Educational Virtual Reality (2019)
- Sujon Z. The Triumph of Social Privacy: Understanding the Privacy Logics of Sharing Behaviors Across Social Media (2018)
- Sujon Z, Viney L, Toker-Turnalar E. Domesticating Facebook: The shift from compulsive connection to personal service platform (2018)
- Sujon Z, Dyer H. Understanding the Social in a Digital Age
- Sujon Z. Facebook (2020)
- Sujon Z. Cambridge Analytica, Facebook, and Understanding Social Media Beyond the Screen (2019)
Conference, Symposium or Workshop item
- Sujon Z. The Rise of Platform Empires: Sociality as Mass Deception (2019)
Current research students
- Russell Merryman, The Transformation of Interactive Television (Joint supervisor)
Communication and graphic design
Journalism, PR, media and publishing