BiographyLucy Thornett is a lecturer on the BA (Hons) Design for Branded Spaces at London College of Communication.
Her research and practice is in scenography. She makes immersive and site specific performances and installations, and has designed sets and costumes for numerous productions.
She is currently completing a part-time AHRC funded practice-led PhD in scenography at the University of Leeds. Her PhD focuses on audience experiences of augmented reality scenographies. She is also co-convenor of the Theatre and Performance Research Association (TaPRA) Scenography Working Group, reviews associate editor for Theatre and Performance Design journal, and an associate editor for Blue Pages, the Journal of the Society of British Theatre Designers.
Recent publications include the chapter Surveillance and Spatial Performativity in the Scenography of Tower in Surveillance, Architecture and Control: Discourses on Spatial Culture edited by Susan Flynn and Antonia McKay (Palgrave, Feb 2019) and Prosthetic Scenographies: scenographic extension of the senses and mediation of the performance space in Tower (2018) in International Journal of Performance Arts and Digital Media.
She has previously taught design at a number of institutions in Australia.
Conference, Symposium or Workshop item
- Thornett L. Landscape, Place and the Gothic in Contemporary Australian Scenography (2016)
- Thornett L. Dramaturgy as a Strategy for Spatial Design Practice (2016)
- Thornett L. Australia at the PQ: Scenographic Spaces between the National and International (2016)
- Thornett L. The Double: Towards a Design-Led Dramaturgy (2015)
- Thornett L. These Forgotten Things (2014)