BiographyElizabeth Peebles is Senior Lecturer on the Fine Art Programme at Chelsea. Research is structured as a critical practice articulated through Secondeditions, a collaborative partnership with artist Markus Eisenmann initiated in 2002.
Secondeditions is concerned with the relationship between art and the political. Departing from a de-propriationist premise the hierarchy of the originals has been succeeded by an equivalence of repetitions that explore the possibilities of trans-national, inter-cultural, de-institutionalised art practice.
Recent research has addressed the economic, social and political conditions that sustain the rise of simulacra and the coinciding loss of the sensible, embodied referent – and as such is no less likely than other forms of scholarly study to reproduce ideological assumptions, however their qualitative categories of rigor and trust are openly discussed.
Secondeditions’ projects align to concepts such as ‘thought as power’ (Sturtevant), ‘thought-things’ (Hannah Arendt), the ‘objectively visible’ (Gerhard Merz), the ‘ever changing multiplicity’ (Sarat Maharaj) and the ‘focus upon the marginalized’ (Raymond Williams).
- Peebles E, Eisenmann M. Friedrich Engels – The Condition of the Working Class in England 1845/1975 (2015)
- Peebles E, Eisenmann M. Josef Hartwig and Oskar Schlemmer – Jointed Doll 1923 (2013)
- Peebles E, Eisenmann M. R.W. Fassbinder – Martha 1974 (2012)
- Peebles E, Eisenmann M. Qualified Nouns (2012)
- Peebles E, Eisenmann M. Philipp Otto Runge – Scherenschnitte: Die Blumen 1794-1809 (2002)
- Peebles E. Philipp Otto Runge – Die Tageszeiten/The Times of Day 1805 (2000)
- Peebles E, Eisenmann M. second reflection | symmetrical contents (2013)
Conference, Symposium or Workshop item
- Peebles E, Eisenmann M. Disobedience and Complex Systems (2017)
- Peebles E, Eisenmann M, Pys P. Second Reflection / Symmetrical Contents: Sturtevant and Secondeditions Pavel Pyś In Conversation With Elizabeth Peebles And Markus Eisenmann. (2013)
- Peebles E, Eisenmann M. Charles Esche – The Consumption of Critique, 2007 (2016)
- Peebles E, Eisenmann M. T.W. Adorno - The Stars Down To Earth 1952/53 (2016)
- Peebles E, Eisenmann M. You think the only people who are people, are the people who look like you. But if you walk in the footsteps of a stranger, you learn things you never knew you never knew (2015)
- Peebles E, Eisenmann M, Sturtevant E. second reflection / symmetrical contents (2013)