BiographyDuncan Wooldridge is an artist, writer and curator. He is the Course Director for BA (Hons) Fine Art Photography at Camberwell College of Art. Curatorial work includes the two-site group survey exhibition, Anti-Photography, at Focal Point Gallery and Beecroft Art Gallery, Southend, in 2011, and John Hilliard: Not Black and White, at Richard Saltoun Gallery, London, in 2014. A parallel book, ‘John Hilliard: Not Black and White’, is published by Ridinghouse. In 2019 he curated the exhibition 'Moving The Image: Photography and Its Actions' at Camberwell Space, as part of the Peckham 24 Photography Festival.
Duncan writes regularly as a critic and essayist, for magazines including Art Monthly, Artforum, Source, FOAM, Elephant, and 1000 Words Photography Magazine. Four essays were included in the recent 10-year anniversary edition of 1000 Words Magazine '10 Years: 2008-2018'.
Wooldridge's practices concern the possibilities of critical art in its uses of what Vilem Flusser called ‘The Universe of Technical Images’: the widespread adoption of mechanically reproducible technologies, such as photography, video, digital text, 3D printing, and printmaking, in a culture of dematerialised labour and supposedly ethereal or immaterial technologies. Beginning with photography but not ending there, he is concerned with the everyday uses of readily available images, especially the reproduction of the work of art, which represents a kind of ‘zero degree’ of all photography. His artistic practice focuses on making visible the decisions, constructs and expectations that surround reproduction images, and sets out to explore their possibilities through subtle alterations or extensions of the image’s functions.
His writing and curatorial projects recently have explored the emergent materialities of photographic images in the light of the web’s wireless ephemerality. It explores the expanded possibilities for photography as a medium that occurs when the technological obsolescence of the photographic image, originally used as an authoritative and objective documentation device, is adopted for alternative purposes that expand or propose new uses for the medium.
- Wooldridge D. Reading Aram Saroyan on the Bus (2016)
- Wooldridge D. Visibility and Realism: Photography and the Problems of Transparency (2016)
- Wooldridge D. John Hilliard: Not Black and White (2014)
- Wooldridge D. Technology and Interaction: Penelope Umbrico's TVs from Craigslist (2018)
- Wooldridge D, Campany D. Tomorrow's Headlines are Today's Chip Papers: Some Thoughts on Response-ability (2018)
Conference, Symposium or Workshop item
- Wooldridge D. Stretching Painting and Photography: the morphologies of the digital image file (2017)
- Razian N, Kubicki K, Wooldridge D. Beyond The Frame: Photography and Experimentation (2014)