BiographyRecent solo exhibitions include Luhring Augustine, New York, 2009 and 2014; greengrassi, London, 2009 and 2012; Marc Foxx, Los Angeles, 2007 and 2011.
Group exhibitions include Slow Looking, Tate Britain, 2013; Tracing the Century, 2013, Tate Liverpool and mima, Middlesbrough; and The Universal Addressability of Dumb Things, curated by Mark Leckey, Bluecoat Gallery, Liverpool, Nottingham Contemporary, and De La Warr Pavillion, Bexhill-on-Sea, 2013. Studio golem was broadcast on Channel 4 in January 2013 as part of the Random Acts strand.
I often draw because a drawing can embody very concisely the possibilities of expression and representation, the peculiar relationship between images and things, and the potential for making and remaking worlds.
The abstractions we create out of lived time and concrete objects are something I’ve begun to explore through animation, which always involves a synthesis of rationalisation and fantasy. My work is analytical and intuitive at once. It grows out of a critical relationship with the conditions of production and reception that give it meaning, but the deeper intention is to find a zone where the freedom to imagine something new might be possible.
- Musgrave D. Object, animal, anthropomorph (2011)
- Musgrave D. Solo Show, greengrassi (2018)
- Musgrave D. Solo presentation with Luhring Augustine, ADAA Art Show (2016)
- Musgrave D. Solo show, greengrassi, London (2015)
- Musgrave D. Solo Show, Marc Foxx Gallery (2015)
- Musgrave D. Slow Looking (2012)
- Musgrave D, Daniels W, Hornig S, Lockhart S, Rondinone U, Schlesinger A. Durchsichtige dinge/transparent things (2011)
- Musgrave D. David Musgrave (2011)
- Musgrave D. Bigminis: fetishes of crisis (2010)
- Musgrave D. Twenty five (2010)
- Musgrave D. David Musgrave (2009)
- Musgrave D. Draw: Conversations around the legacy of drawings. (2007)
- Musgrave D. Solo exhibition
- Musgrave D. Living Dust