Learn more and find documentation relating to UAL sustainability, energy and environmental policies and plans.
Construction and refurbishment
The University sets minimum requirements for sustainability to be captured within refurbishment and new-build projects.
The Design Brief for Sustainability is provided as part of Employers Requirements that form part of the standard specification issued to external providers. This has had a positive impact upon the University estate and its operations including our first BREEAM 'Outstanding' building at Wimbledon College of Art.
- Design Brief for Sustainable Development (PDF 274KB)
- UAL Washroom Design Guide (PDF 902KB)
- UAL Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing Design Particulars (PDF 760KB)
Staff and student travel is a significant contributor to UAL's Scope 3 emissions. We want to try and reduce this by encouraging sustainable transport through the Travel Plan.
Biodiversity Action Plan
UAL has mapped biodiversity across our estate via biodiversity audits. The audits and associated actions are captured in our Biodiversity Action Plan.
Progress is tracked by the Sustainability and Environment Project Board who are responsible for the implementation of our Environmental Management System (the LiFE Index).
This is the University's mission statement for sustainability. It sets out our aspirations but also how we manage, report, set targets and promote environmental stewardship. The Sustainability Manifesto is the University's engagement and behavioural change strategy.
The University's Environmental Management System is certified to ISO 14001 and is explained in the Guidance Document.
- Environmental Policy Statement 2020 (PDF 295KB)
- UAL Sustainability Manifesto (2016 - 2022) (PDF 99KB)
- Climate Emergency Manifesto Timeline (PDF 95KB)
- UAL Action Plan (PDF 222KB)
- UAL Environmental Report (PDF 995KB)
- UAL ISO 14001 Certificate (Business Operations) (PDF 75KB)
- UAL ISO 14001 Scope (Business Operations) (PDF 225KB)
- UAL ISO 14001 Scope (Teaching, Learning and Research) (PDF 1.1MB)
- UAL ISO 14001 Guidance Doc (Business Operations) (PDF 2,167KB)
- UAL ISO 14001 Guidance Doc v2 (Teaching, Learning and Research) (PDF 2.3MB).
- UAL Risks and Opportunities Register (Business Operations) (XLS 804 KB)
- UAL Risks and Opportunities Register v2 (Teaching, Learning and Research) (XLS 336KB)
Carbon Management Plan
This sets out the University's carbon reduction target and details actions that will be taken to achieve the target.
Ethical and Sustainable Procurement Strategy
The University is keen to work with suppliers who share our sustainability aspirations. Cost and performance are key considerations for us, as they are for any other HEI.
The University has mapped carbon emissions that arise from what we buy, this information is returned to HEFCE formally every year. In addition, we are working with the Chartered Institute of Procurement Specialists to implement their Sustainability Index. The index allows organisations to appraise their supplier chain for sustainability performance.
Performance is in accordance with the 3 pillars of sustainability - environment, finance and social enterprise.
Heating and Cooling Policy
This sets out the minimum and maximum temperatures for UAL internal spaces. This is intended both as a guide for facilities staff and a check point for staff who are feeling uncomfortable.
Sustainable Food Policy
UAL's Food Policy follows DEFRA's definition of "Food which is healthier for people and the planet".
The policy aims to deliver healthier, ethically sourced, more sustainable food which may help to encourage lifestyle changes both in and outside the University, leading to a positive impact on health and wellbeing, as well as the environment. It also recognises the benefits for our local, national and international communities.
UAL Energy Policy
The University's Energy Policy seeks to underpin carbon reduction through good energy management. This document outlines how UAL is able to manage and substantially reduce energy consumption.
The Energy Policy also enables UAL's accreditation under ISO 50001 - in order to be accredited under this international standard, UAL must demonstrate that it has systems and processes in place to reduce consumption as well as carbon.