Learn more and find documentation relating to UAL sustainability, energy and environmental policies and plans.
Carbon Management Plan
Our Carbon Management Plan is central to our approach to sustainability at UAL and sets out the University's carbon reduction target and details actions that will be taken to achieve the target.
Our SMART Action Plan and Targets
This plan brings together our SMART Targets and detailed action plan for construction and refurbishment, emissions and discharges, community involvement, biodiversity, waste management, travel and transport, sustainable procurement and water use.
This is our mission statement for sustainability at UAL. It sets out our aspirations but also how we manage, report, set targets and promote environmental stewardship. The UAL Climate Action Plan outlines our commitments to achieve climate justice at an institutional level.
The University's Environmental Management System is certified to ISO 14001.
ISO 14001 – Sustainable Business Operations
Certificates, audits and other documents relating to our ISO 14001 accreditation for business operations.
- UAL ISO 14001 Certificate (Business Operations) (PDF 75KB)
- UAL ISO 14001 Scope (Business Operations) (PDF 225KB)
- UAL ISO 14001 Audit Report (Business Operations) (PDF 273KB)
- UAL ISO 14001 Guidance Document (Business Operations) (PDF 314KB)
- UAL Risks and Opportunities Register (Business Operations) (XLS 1.19 MB)
ISO 14001 – Sustainable Learning, Teaching and Research
Certificates, audits and other documents relating to our ISO 14001 accreditation for sustainable, learning teaching and research.
- ISO 14001 Certificate (Learning, Teaching and Research) (PDF 337KB)
- UAL ISO 14001 Scope (Teaching, Learning and Research) (PDF 1.1MB)
- UAL ISO 14001 Audit Report (Learning, Teaching and Research) (PDF 1.72MB)
- UAL ISO 14001 Corrective Action Plan (Learning, Teaching and Research) (PDF 442KB)
- UAL ISO 14001 Guidance Doc v2 (Teaching, Learning and Research) (PDF 2.3MB)
- UAL Risks and Opportunities Register v2 (Teaching, Learning and Research) (XLS 336KB)
ISO 50001 - UAL Energy Policy
The University's Energy Policy seeks to underpin carbon reduction through good energy management. This document outlines how UAL is able to manage and substantially reduce energy consumption.
The Energy Policy also enables UAL's accreditation under ISO 50001.
Ethical and Sustainable Procurement and Investment
- Responsible Investment Policy (PDF 467KB)
- PRI Transparency Report (PDF 557KB)* This report is the latest available: the PRI have stated they have delayed the release of 2021 reporting outputs until Q3 of 2022, with a specific date to be confirmed as soon as possible.)
*The PRI Transparency report is the latest available: the PRI have stated they have delayed the release of 2021 reporting outputs until Q3 of 2022, with a specific date to be confirmed as soon as possible
Sustainable Food Policy
The policy aims to deliver healthier, ethically sourced, more sustainable food which may help to encourage lifestyle changes both in and outside the University, leading to a positive impact on health and wellbeing, as well as the environment. It also recognises the benefits for our local, national and international communities.
*The Soil Association have confirmed to UAL that it has retained 'gold' status for 21/22 for all sites. Due to staff shortage issues resulting from the pandemic, it has not been possible to provide an updated certificate. The Soil Association is happy to confirm the University's 'gold' status upon request at email@example.com
Visit our Sustainability in Action page for more information on our Sustainable Food Policy.
Workplace Travel Plan
Staff and student travel is a significant contributor to UAL's Scope 3 emissions. We want to try and reduce this by encouraging sustainable transport through the Travel Plan.
Biodiversity Action Plan
UAL has mapped biodiversity across our estate via biodiversity audits. The audits and associated actions are captured in our Biodiversity Action Plan.
Progress is tracked by the Climate & Environment Action Group.
Heating and Cooling Policy
This sets out the minimum and maximum temperatures for UAL internal spaces. This is intended both as a guide for facilities staff and a checkpoint for staff who are feeling uncomfortable.
Construction and refurbishment
The University sets minimum requirements for sustainability to be captured within refurbishment and new-build projects.
The Design Brief for Sustainability is provided as part of Employers Requirements that form part of the standard specification issued to external providers. This has had a positive impact upon the University Estate and its operations including our first BREEAM 'Outstanding' building at Wimbledon College of Art.
- Design Brief for Sustainable Development (PDF 274KB)
- UAL Washroom Design Guide (PDF 902KB)
- UAL Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing Design Particulars (PDF 760KB)
Student and Graduate Employment Policy
In 2021 a new Student and Graduate Employment Policy was approved by the University’s Executive Group. This was reviewed and approved in May 2022.