Fashion Media Styling: Commercial
For budding stylists keen to take their first steps in this popular fashion career path, this fashion media styling course looks at the variety of media styling options available to you, and the day-to-day working life of a stylist. You will learn how and where to find inspiration, creating two complete looks that you will shoot on the last day together with a professional photographer, model and hair and make up artist...
Taught by: Kerry Panaggio.
For budding stylists keen to take their first steps in this popular fashion career path, this fashion media styling course looks at the variety of media styling options available to you, and the day-to-day working life of a stylist. You will learn how and where to find inspiration, creating two complete looks that you will shoot on the last day together with a professional photographer, model and hair and make up artist.
The course includes:
- How to present your aesthetic using key fashion phrases and terms
- Timeline of key moments in fashion history
- Background history of stylists and contextualisation of their role
- The roles of a stylist working today
- An in-depth look at commercial styling - lookbooks, advertisements and ecommerce
- How to interpret a style brief - understanding your audience and your client
- Making contacts - utilising fashion PRs and social media networks to generate work
- Pathways into styling - how to gain valuable work experience in the industry
- Sourcing research both online and in print - where to find it and how to file it
- Tools are needed in a styling kit and where to buy them
- How to work on a professional studio photoshoot directing a team which includes a professional model, photographer and hair and makeup artist.
Beginners. You should have an interest in the subject area and a desire to learn but no previous experience is required.
Your course place is confirmed once you have booked online or via the phone using a credit or debit card. There is no deadline for booking. Places are offered on a first come, first served basis, and all courses have a maximum number of students. We suggest you book early to avoid disappointment.
Kerry Panaggio began her freelance career as the London assistant for American Vogue. In this time she assisted iconic editors Hamish Bowles and Phyllis Posnick and became the first assistant to Caroline Sieber - a Chanel Ambassador who styled Emma Watson for the Harry Potter press tour alongside shoots for American and British Vogue.
Over the next five years Kerry assisted many of the world’s top stylists such as Karl Templer, Jane How and Nancy Rohde and worked on shoots for some of the industries most noted publications such as Interview, V Magazine, Lula and Italian, French and American Vogue with seminal photographers including Bruce Weber, Mert and Marcus, Nick Knight, David Simms, Willy Vanderperre, Solve Sundsbo and David Baliey. In this time Kerry completed a Masters Degree in the Fashion History at the London College of Fashion.
For the last two and a half years Kerry has worked as the first assistant and studio manager for Katy England, overseeing and contributing to shoots from conception though to production. Highlights of this time include working on the Givenchy shows in Paris, the Jil Sander shows in Milan and shooting with Kate Moss for many editorial and commercial shoots including the campaign images for Kate Moss for Topshop collection. In addition, Kerry sourced garments from around the globe for a special Alexander McQueen archive shoot, which featured in Another Magazine and coincided with the V&A’s Savage Beauty exhibition.
Kerry has now started to forge her career in Fashion Styling securing commercial contacts for brands such as Karen Millen and Toast whilst working as an Associate Lecturer at the London College of Fashion.
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please bring the following materials/equipment to the first class:
- Notebook and pen
- Please bring a laptop / smartphone or tablet
You should be prepared to bring/source clothes, materials and props for your shoot day.