Foundation & Preparation Courses
To be considered for a UAL undergraduate course, you usually need to have a strong portfolio and considerable knowledge of your subject. Our pre-degree and foundation courses enable you to develop the skills, experience and portfolio of work needed for further study.
Watch Christine's video above to hear about her experience of being a pre-degree student at UAL. See below for more information about our pre-degree courses.
FAD allows you to explore, experiment and build a portfolio in preparation for entry to an undergraduate course. Find out more about our FAD courses.
This practical course, based at Drama Centre London: Central Saint Martins, helps prepare you for undergraduate-level drama and performance courses.
Portfolio preparation courses
A strong portfolio is a common entry requirement for our practice-based courses. Several of our Colleges offer courses to help you prepare your portfolio before applying for an undergraduate or postgraduate degree course at UAL.
- Portfolio preparation courses at Central Saint Martins
- Portfolio preparation courses at Chelsea College of Arts
- Portfolio preparation courses at London College of Communication
Portfolio preparation courses at London College of Fashion:
Based at London College of Communication, this course provides a thorough introduction to the areas of media, communication and design.
International: Introduction to the Study of Fashion
Based at London College of Fashion, this course helps prepare you for further study in a particular area of fashion by developing your skills, knowledge and portfolio.
International Preparation for Fashion (Certificate in Higher Education)
A one-year course based at London College of Fashion with successful completion resulting in a Certificate in Higher Education.
Several of UAL’s Colleges also offer a selection of short courses designed to help international students develop the skills, experience and knowledge required for entry to more advanced courses:
- Camberwell, Chelsea and Wimbledon Colleges of Arts offer 6 week Preparation Courses to international students applying to study a Foundation Diploma in Art and Design, undergraduate degree course or postgraduate degree course at UAL.
- Central Saint Martins also offers a 9 week Orientation to Art and Design course to help international students gain the skills, experience and knowledge required for entry to a foundation-level course.