Fashion Styling and Media: Residential Summer School (14-16 Year Olds)
If you love fashion but perhaps not interested in a career in design, then this two-week fashion media course will introduce you to the exciting worlds of PR, catwalks, fashion journalism, styling, photography and make up-artistry. It's perfect if you're a budding celebrity stylist, fashion journalist or fashion PR...
Taught by: John William.
If you love fashion but perhaps not interested in a career in design, then this two-week fashion media course will introduce you to the exciting worlds of PR, catwalks, fashion journalism, styling, photography and make up-artistry. It's perfect if you're a budding celebrity stylist, fashion journalist or fashion PR.
What's included on the course?
- The different roles of the fashion media: which one is for you?
- Analysing and writing press releases: selling the dream
- Planning a fashion event: what's important and how to get the guest list
- Catwalk reporting and fashion interview techniques
- Trend spotting and street style writing: who influences and why
- Creating your own fashion blog
- The principles and practice of styling: what goes into making a fashion image
- Editorial make up demos and the chance to practice 'looks'
- Planning and executing your own fashion shoot (professional photographer provided)
This summer school will give you a taster of many different areas of the fashion industry and will help you decide which direction you wish to take your fashion career in. Please download the course timetable for more information on what the course includes.
What are the benefits of attending a Residential Summer School at LCF?
This course will allow you to experiment with new techniques, build confidence, acquire new skills and be inspired to learn more. It's also a great way to meet like-minded friends from around the world. In addition to all your new knowledge and skills, you'll leave the course with:
- Examples of your writing work, including a catwalk report and fashion news story
- An online style blog, including your own street style photos
- A series of images from your own designed and directed photo shoot (starring yourself as a model!)
Beginners. You should have an interest fashion and a desire to learn but no previous experience is required. This course is delivered in English therefore a good level of Engish is required to make the most of the learning experience. For more information please download the Residential Summer School Handbook.
Your course place is confirmed once you have booked online or via the phone using a credit or debit card. There is no deadline for booking. Places are offered on a first come, first served basis, and all courses have a maximum number of students. We suggest you book early to avoid disappointment.
John William began his career in fashion as a journalist and launched Pigeons & Peacocks magazine with London College of Fashion. He has written for magazines as diverse as The Sunday Times Style and Dazed and Confused. John has been working as a freelance stylist for the past 6 years and has contributed to an international roster of publications including Vice, i-D, Nylon, Paper and Bullett magazine. He has had his work exhibited globally including a 2011 show curated by photographer Rankin and a 2014 collaboration with the Museum of London. John's experience in industry spans marketing, consultancy, trend forecasting and creative direction, and he teaches across a number of BA courses at LCF. He currently works as a stylist and artist and his work often includes props and custom made pieces of his own design.
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please bring the following materials/equipment to the first class:
- Notebook and pen
- Camera/phone with download lead/card reader
- Clothes, shoes and accessories you might want to wear/loan to others for your shoot
- Most make-up will be provided for your photo shoot, but please bring your own foundation and mascara, plus make up remover/wipes and headband
- USB stick (at least 4GB) to save work and images