Unit 1 - Elements of Interior Design
This unit is an introduction to your course, the college and the university.
- Projects that focus on how a client/user inhabits interior space
- An introduction to research led practice
- You will explore the design of a series of domestic and other residential interior elements before creating a full design proposal
- Be introduced to various design and presentation methods you have as interior designers to communicate to different audiences
- Explore a variety of ways of analysing design problems - sketching, collage, technical drawing and model making techniques
- Develop your designs by using a selection of materials, construction techniques and technology
- Work collaboratively with your peers
- Keep a reflective journal in the form of a Personal Blog
- Look at the cultural context of interior design, as well as the wider subject area of design and sustainability.
- Undertake writing and research that is concerned with professional practice and your creative processes
Unit 2 - Comprehensive Design Project
In this unit you will initiate your own comprehensive design project in the public realm. You will choose a location, make an analysis of an interior and establish a design brief for a new programme of habitation or occupation.
- You will look at the spatial organisation, material concerns and the experiential qualities of your design proposition
- Communicate the fabrication, construction and sustainability aspects of your design
- Written work that clarifies your design methodology, outcomes and use of design precedents
- Exercises in site analysis
- Workshops where you will present your negotiated design solution
- Talks by guest artists, designers and architects
- Workshops on academic research and writing
- Group and individual tutorials
- Seminars on professional practice
- Present work in the college end of year event