University Hardship Fund
Students who are on any undergraduate, graduate diploma or postgraduate course can apply for the University Hardship Fund, but you should check the detailed eligibility requirements on the application forms.
All Home undergraduate students will need to have student finance assessment of household income that is below £42,875 to be eligible for payment from these funds and, International and postgraduate students may be required to demonstrate their household income is below this level.
The Fund will treat the following student groups as a priority for assessment:
- with caring responsibilities;
- who are care leavers;
- with disabilities and chronic medical conditions;
- who are estranged from both parents;
- with significant debts;
- who have been a victim of fraud resulting in unexpected hardship;
- who were made the £1,000 UAL Bursary in the previous academic year, prior to undertaking the DPS/Placement year, for the current academic year;
- who have experienced exceptional unexpected circumstances which can be documented - may include but is not limited to costs incurred due to bereavement for a parent/guardian, within the last 12 months; loss of earnings; parent/guardians loss of earnings; invoices/receipts for expenses incurred.
Students can also apply to receive assistance with equipment costs. Students who have been made an award from the Equipment Fund in the 2019/20 and 2020/21 academic year will only be eligible for further support if the equipment has stopped working.
The University Hardship Fund is a means-tested hardship grant to assist with study costs. It is not a loan and does not need to be repaid.
In response to the move to online learning and to the financial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic we have expanded the terms of our hardships funds to include equipment costs.
The minimum award we can pay is £200 and the maximum we award is normally £2,000. The award is for maintenance only; no award will be made for tuition fees.
University Hardship Fund
Applications can be made using the relevant application form below:
- Home Undergraduate Students Form (Word 662KB)
- Home Postgraduate and Graduate Diploma Students Form (Word 662KB)
- International Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Graduate Diploma Students Form (Word 663KB)
Applicants will receive the result by email, within 20 working days of us receiving their fully completed application form and/or supporting documents.
Completed application forms and supporting documents should be sent using our funding student enquiry form.
Please do not post completed application forms and supporting documents.
Successful applicants will receive payment via bank transfer. Further information to be provided after confirmation of funding.
If you need help, please fill out this form.
UAL offers a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and awards provided through generous donations from individuals, companies and philanthropic charities, as well as from University funds.
Use our Scholarships Search to find out what you might be eligible for.