UAL Travel Bursary
University of the Arts London (UAL) is committed to widening participation to higher education (HE) and supporting students as they progress to the next stage in their creative education. Each UAL Travel Bursary offers to cover the costs of mainline train and/or airline travel within the UK for applicants meeting eligibility criteria to attend UAL applicant and/or interview days. Bursary funds will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis until the fund has been fully spent.
To be eligible for a UAL Travel Bursary you must meet all of the following criteria:
- Applied to study a further education (pre-degree) or undergraduate course at UAL for the academic year of 2020/21 by the equal consideration deadline*; and
- Have been invited to attend at least one of the following UAL events:
- accommodation open day
- applicant day
- interview associated with your further education (pre-degree) or undergraduate course application to UAL
- offer-holder day; and
- Visiting UAL between 3 February 2020 to 31 August 2020 to attend one of the above events; and
- Be a UK resident.
* The equal consideration deadline for undergraduate course applications for the academic year of 2020/21 was Wednesday 15 January 2020. For further education (pre-degree) course applications for the academic year of 2020/21 the equal consideration deadline was Friday 31 January 2020.
You must also meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Live in an area where participation in higher education is low, (POLAR4, Quintiles 1 or 2). There’s no need for you to find out whether or not you meet this criteria. We’ll use the postcode you provided on your course application to assess your eligibility. If you are eligible based on this criteria, we’ll notify you by email.
- A young carer.
- Estranged from your family.
- A care leaver.
- Aged 19 or over and aren’t in receipt of the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) adult education budget (AEB) for a Level 3 qualification. Note that this criteria only applies to applicants who’ve applied for a UAL further education (pre-degree) course.
- The first in your immediate family to attend University in the UK or abroad, or to achieve a higher education qualification such as a degree, diploma or certificate of higher education. By immediate family we mean your parents, step-parents or guardians.
- A participant of our UAL Insights programmes.
- A refugee, asylum seeker or have been granted humanitarian protection.
- Have at least one condition, disability or learning difficulty which is in one or more of the following categories:
- A social/communication impairment such as Asperger's syndrome/other autistic spectrum disorder.
- Blindness or a serious visual impairment uncorrected by glasses.
- Deafness or a serious hearing impairment.
- A long-standing illness or health condition such as cancer, HIV, diabetes, chronic heart disease, or epilepsy.
- A mental health condition, such as depression, schizophrenia or anxiety disorder.
- A specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia, dyspraxia or AD(H)D.
- A physical impairment or mobility issue(s), such as difficulty using your arms or using a wheelchair or crutches.
- A disability, impairment or medical condition that is not listed above.
Important information: Where you chose to self-declare your eligibility, we may ask you to provide supporting evidence to confirm your eligible status when we come to review your UAL Travel Bursary application.
Please note we cannot offer reimbursement for travel tickets which have already been booked
If you’ve made an undergraduate course application by Wednesday 15 January 2020 or a pre-degree course application by Friday 31 January 2020 you will be contacted by email with an invitation to apply for a UAL Travel Bursary should you meet the eligibility criteria.
We recommend that you wait to hear the outcome of your course application(s) before submitting a UAL Travel Bursary application form. Our applicant days, interviews and offer-holder days are by invitation only. If applicable, you’ll receive your invitation by email from either our Admissions team, or the Student Recruitment team in your chosen College(s).
If you submit a UAL Travel Bursary application form, we will contact you by email within 72 working hours to let you know if your funding application has been successful. Our office hours are Monday-Friday 9am to 5pm.
If you’ve made a course application by the deadline given at the start of this section but haven’t received an email then please contact email@example.com to request a UAL Travel Bursary application form.
Closing date for all applications: 1pm (UK time), Friday 21 August 2020, or earlier if the fund has been fully spent.
If you need help, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.