SHOWstudio recently announced all the nominations for their first ever Fashion Film Award, several London College of Fashion students and alumni have been nominated from multiple courses across the college.
Nick Knight OBE, director of SHOWstudio, announced the brief for the inaugural awards in collaboration with QIC Global Real Estate. The Award is the latest step in Knight’s vision to develop the most innovative and creative fashion filmmakers out there.
The awards received applications from all over the world, stretching from New Zealand to Los Angeles, before SHOWstudio and co-founder Nick Knight selected their favourites for the nomination round. London College of Fashion is one of the most represented establishments, several students and alumni have been selected, most from MA backgrounds, exhibiting how enriching studying a postgraduate can be for creativity and innovation.
Current students include:
- MA Fashion Photography‘s Tian Chen for Reality and Virtual.
- MA Fashion Photography‘s Hung-Chun Wang for The Seven Voices in Amber.
- MA Fashion Journalism‘s Tilal Imani for his film OoMA (which stands for “object of my affection)
- MA Footwear‘s Sandra Plantos for her film Presence
- MA Fashion Photography students Simone Steenberg and Lolo Bates for their film Come to Senses
Alumni for the award include:
- MA Fashion Photography alumni Josh Brandao for his film Poetry for Boys.
- MA Fashion Photography alumna Anna Radchenko for her film Nice Lies.
- BA (Hons) Fashion Media Part Time alumni Gsus Lopez for his film It Melts.
- MA Fashion Media Production alumna April Lucas for Hear Me.
- MA Fashion Media Production alumni Quentin Hubert for his film Silver Goddesses.
- Christopher Cuniff for his Hustler. He studied BA Broadcast Journalism before it became BA (Hons) Fashion Journalism.
- MA Fashion Media Production alumni PoonSap for his film Folie A Deux.
- BA (Hons) Fashion Styling and Production student Candice Lo for her film WWW.
LCF News caught up with one of the students nominated for the Fashion Film Award, Sandra Plantos. She created a short seven-minute film for her final MA Footwear collection. The film and footwear is called ‘Presence‘, and consists of abstract concrete shoes, some that even prevent movement. Irish-born Sandra’s shoes are made out of a range of materials that include cast concrete, reinforced steel and plywood. Sandra, a former architecture student from the University College Dublin, worked with Deborah Sheedy on the film.
Congratulations on the SHOWstudio nomination, can you briefly explain the video you produced? How does it feel being nominated for such an award, and being recognised by showstudio and iconic photographer Nick Knight?
The short film is called ‘Presence’ and it compliments and further contextualises the five-piece Footwear Collection submitted as part of my MA in Fashion Footwear at LCF. ‘Presence’ was made in collaboration with Deborah Sheedy, an innovative Irish photographer making her initial forays into the world of cinematography. I also owe a debt of gratitude to Jennifer Vogtle, for her wonderful interpretive dance performance in the closing scene. Without spoiling the cinematic experience by giving too much away, the film seeks to demonstrate the themes of Time, Materiality and Non-Movement, whilst also seeking to communicate to the viewer the need for a re-engagement of the senses and a re-awakening of an awareness of the body.
I’m over the moon and so honoured to be included in the SHOWstudio Fashion Film Awards alongside so many talented international film-makers – it is something I would only ever dream of experiencing. Initially, I had speculatively contacted SHOWstudio to consider adding the film to the Archives, and I was so surprised and ecstatic to have received the e-mail from Nick Knight himself, praising the work and saying that he would include ‘Presence’ in the Awards. Nick’s work has been a formative influence in opening my eyes to the world of Fashion Photography and Film.
- Find out more about MA Fashion Footwear
- Find out more about MA Fashion Media Production
- Find out more about MA Fashion Photography
- MA Fashion Journalism
- BA (Hons) Fashion Media Part Time
- Read more about the MA16 season of events
- Find our more about postgraduate courses at London College of Fashion
- Find out about postgraduate open days
- Meet the graduates in our LCF MA16 Graduate Spotlight series
- Read more about LCF MA16 on LCF News
- #LCFMA16 on Twitter and Instagram