Art and Design for 16 to 18 Year Olds Short Course
You should expect to find the focused studio atmosphere an inspiration. Some use this experience in order to help them decide on future study choices. Advice on how to produce a portfolio of artwork and its presentation will be available.
The course encourages experimentation and the development of a critical approach to the work produced. As you gain more confidence in your abilities, you will be encouraged to take greater control and responsibility for the direction of your work.
Who should take this course?
- Students with an interest in art and design, including complete beginners
- Those who have recently completed a GCSE in art and design, or those studying art at 'A' of 'AS' level
- Students aiming to apply for study art and design at foundation level
- International baccalaureate students aged between 16 and 18 who need to be better equipped to apply to a foundation course
- Students already on a foundation course who want to improve their portfolio for degree application.
Entry requirements: A good command of basic spoken English.
Level: The course is suitable for beginners as well as those already studying art and design..
Please note: This course is for students aged 16 to 18 years old only
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
Summer stays for 16 to 18 year olds
Did you know UAL accommodation is available for short course students during summer? We offer two packages both include accommodation, breakfast, and 24 hour Student Ambassador support.
Add to your experience with a Summer Stays Social Package
Available between 18 July 2022 and ends on 12 August 2022. This package includes an events calendar put on by our Social Programme with daily activities. Find out more.
Accommodation only - available between 30 June 2022 and ends on 27 August 2022.
Short course students also receive a discounted rate when booking. Find out more and book your place.
- Observational drawing and research
- A session where students will draw by looking at a life model (male or female)
- Opportunities to work across a range of art materials and techniques
- Advice on use of materials and methods
- Research trip outside college in a museum, gallery or other location.
Please bring with you to the first session:
- A4 size sketchbook
- a selection of paint brushes in different sized (small, medium, large)
- selection of HB - 6B pencils
- plastic eraser
- roll of one masking tape (1 inch size)
- a camera would be useful to record the work produced
Please note that depending on your chosen project, for more ambitious work it may be necessary to buy a few extra specialist materials.
Material supplied by the course
We will provide a range of paper in different colours and card for you to work with, as well as charcoal, acrylic paint, markers, metal wire, clay, PVA glue, glue guns, cutting knives and scalpels.
Meet the Tutor:
This course will help young art students strengthen their portfolios, gain confidence in their abilities and engage with experimentation and generation of ideas. Several areas of fine art will be covered.You will be free to approach your projects in the way you choose and focus on your areas of interest, such as painting, drawing, photography or illustration.