Skip to main content

Making a Student Complaint

UAL welcomes your feedback on all aspects of your time at University.

Most concerns can be resolved easily by talking to your tutors and other members of staff.

You can also tell us about any issues you have at course committee meetings and other school or college meetings, or by talking to your course representative or the Students’ Union.

Sometimes it may not be possible to resolve your concern through these channels. The University’s Student Complaints Procedures set out what you need to do to make a complaint about your college or a UAL department. Your complaint will be taken seriously and dealt with fairly. Making a complaint will not affect any decisions made about your future academic progress, and does not affect your student rights.

  • Once you complete a Complaint Enquiry Form, it will be sent to your College and they will get in touch with you.
  • Please include your UAL email address and look out for our responses in your UAL inbox.
  • If you are submitting on behalf of a group, please include the names and UAL e-mail addresses for your colleagues.
  • If you have a concern about the condition of your accommodation, or any issues arising from your tenancy agreement, please raise these in the first instance with your Residence Manager who will try and resolve the concerns as soon as possible. If you are not satisfied with that response, please could we ask you to make a formal complaint by e-mailing

University Complaints Procedures

Please make sure you read the University Complaints Procedures so you understand the different stages of the process:

University Complaints Procedures from October 2021 (PDF 149KB)

Submitting a request for a Final Complaint Review

If you disagree with the outcome of a Formal Complaint investigation, you can request a Final Complaint Review. To do this,  please write a letter which clearly explains your reasons for disagreeing with the outcome, and send it to the University Complaints Unit.

Guidance for students

We want to understand the issues you are experiencing and work out the best way to resolve them.

Our Complaints process is based on resolving issues quickly and fairly. There are two ways you can complain:

  • Less formally, you can 'raise a concern'
  • Alternatively there is a Formal Complaints process.

Our Student Guide to Complaints 2021 (PDF 234KB) talks you through our process and timelines.


University of the Arts London is committed to responding to all allegations of discrimination and cultural conflict in a sensitive manner. The University’s Resolutions service aims to provide a range of ways to access advice and guidance about discrimination and cultural conflict.

We encourage students to report incidents and concerns through the University’s Complaints procedure so that the University can investigate them appropriately. However, we also recognise that some students may be reluctant to make a formal complaint against a member of staff. Therefore, the University invites any student who feels they have experienced discrimination or cultural conflict to enquire about taking part in mediation.