Walking the talk: Why LCF’s Fashion Footwear course is a step above the rest!
- Written byTino Matienga and Jimena Rascon Azanedo
- Published date 21 March 2023
The BA (Hons) Cordwainers Footwear course will give you a unique, first-hand look into the world of footwear. Taught by our industry-experienced staff in our specialist facilities, you’ll develop the design skills required to bring your ideas to life.
London College of Fashion (LCF) is renowned for its expertise in the fashion industry, offering a variety of courses to aspiring fashionistas. Going back many years, the Cordwainers Footwear course is etched in London’s history, with its roots going back over 100 years. First taught in Mare Street, it was run by The Worshipful Company of Cordwainers up until 2000, when LCF took over and began offering FDA, MA, and BA (Hons) Footwear Design courses – which are based on the highly creative and technical skilled courses of the original college. Since its formation, LCF has produced well-known designers including Jimmy Choo, Patrick Cox, and Sophie Webster to name a few.
Life on BA (Hons) Cordwainers Footwear is focused on ensuring our students graduate with the sought-after design skills this dynamic industry is looking for. Students will cover technical aspects of footwear, such sketching, as well as construction techniques like stitching and building prototypes. Dedicated units that cover branding and promotion will ensure students have professional skills needed to take their products to market.
Collaboration is at the core of the industry, which is why it’s embedded throughout the curriculum. Students will have the chance to work together on live projects and group work activities, which will ensure they build skills that will help them for life after LCF.
5 reasons to join the footwear family at LCF!
- Unrivalled expertise and reputation in the industry: Through generous donations, prizes and industrial visits, our special relationship with The Worshipful Company of Cordwainers is truly unique and provides our students with opportunities that enhance their learning experience.
- Specialist course: We’re 1 of 2 undergraduate degrees in the UK to solely focus on footwear design.
- Established alumni: Several well-known designers have learned their craft at LCF, such as Jimmy Choo, Manolo Blahnik, Kurt Geiger, and Sophie Webster.
- Excellent industry links: Our wealth of contacts propel our students into exciting graduate Design, Production Technology, and Buying and Merchandising roles at renowned companies such as Malone Souliers, Inditex, Adele Clarke, Stella McCartney and more!
- A diverse and close-knit community. The course is home to students from all over the world, which offer a diverse range of ideas and inspirations BA (Hons) Cordwainers Footwear is a family with a strong collaborative work ethic, who also has fun while learning.
Want to see more of what students on this course have made? You can see our student's work from the LCF Graduate Showcase here.
- Find out more about Cordwainers courses at LCF.
- View our upcoming Open Days.