Call for Abstracts Experiences of Fashion: Multiple Perspectives Symposium, March 2023
- Written byLCF Research
- Published date 02 November 2022
Date: 16 March 2023
Location: London, UK - Hybrid Event
Call for Abstracts deadline: 9 December 2022
Cost: Free of charge
Inquiries and submissions: firstname.lastname@example.org
London College of Fashion (LCF), University of the Arts London (UAL) is proud to host this symposium led by LCF doctoral researchers. The symposium aims to explore the theme of fashion-related experiences, bringing together multiple perspectives from fashion research to build a more holistic understanding of the fashion industry and identify ways to bring about positive change. We are excited for this opportunity to come together and network with academic peers in London or online.
Experience is continuous and multifaceted (Dewey, 1938), containing numerous threads that weave together. Fashion has been a subject and object of study for many years and from many different disciplinary perspectives (design, the humanities, business, sociology, consumer psychology, branding, marketing). The disciplinary approach to the topic of fashion creates a fragmented comprehension of the various experiences of people involved in designing, manufacturing, marketing, and wearing fashion.
As a collective of researchers examining fashion from many viewpoints, the symposium aims to create a space where different experiences of fashion can come together in dialogue, to co-create new forms of knowledge.
Questions to consider
We are looking for research that critically engages with fashion as experienced by the various individuals who take part in it. We ask:
- How do designers, makers, buyers, wearers, and marketers experience fashion?
- What threads might they have in common?
- How might these varied experiences inform and influence each other?
- How does our understanding of fashion experiences change when we consider multiple perspectives?
Who can participate?
This interdisciplinary call for abstracts seeks to create a space for researchers, practitioners, doctoral students, early career researchers, and designers to come together and share their work around the theme of experiences in fashion.
- Submissions from any field of study will be considered, including but not limited to the social sciences, humanities, business management, marketing, and design.
- Presentation topics might include (but are not limited to): designing, manufacturing, buying, wearing, or consuming fashion.
- All perspectives, including but not limited to ecological, critical, feminist, queer, postcolonial, and decolonial, are of interest to us.
Please submit the following in an attached document (Word or PDF) to email@example.com
- Full name
- Affiliation (e.g. workplace, university, independent/freelance)
- Biography (150 words maximum)
- Title of Presentation
- Abstract (500 words maximum, excluding references)
Abstracts Deadline: 9 December 2022
Notification of acceptance: 23 December 2022
Symposium date: 16 March 2023 (presentation length: approximately 15 minutes)
- Kadian Gosler – PhD researcher in Fashion and Textile Design and Technology
- Lauren Junestrand – PhD researcher on Sustainable Fashion Consumption
- Kiran Ali – Fashion Business School PhD researcher in Fashion Technology and Marketing Operations
- Ellen Smith – Events and Research Administrator