The standard entry requirements for this course are as follows:
One or a combination of the following accepted full level 3 qualifications:
- 1 A Level or equivalent
- Or equivalent Level 3/EU/International qualifications, such as International Baccalaureate Certificates – two at ‘Higher Level’ and one at ‘Standard Level’ - all Grade 4 or above.
And three GCSE passes at grade 4 or above (grade A*-C).
Entry to this course will also be determined by assessment of your portfolio.
APEL - Accreditation of Prior (Experiential) Learning
Exceptionally applicants who do not meet these course entry requirements may still be considered. The course team will consider each application that demonstrates additional strengths and alternative evidence. This might, for example, be demonstrated by:
* Related academic or work experience
* The quality of the personal statement
* A strong academic or other professional reference
* OR a combination of these factors.
Each application will be considered on its own merit but we cannot guarantee an offer in each case.
English Language Requirements
IELTS level 5.0 or above, with at least 4.5 in reading, writing, listening and speaking (please check our main English Language requirements webpage).
Applicants who require a Tier 4 General Student Visa must take IELTS Academic Test for UKVI which is approved by the UK government for your UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) application. No other test can be accepted.
Achieving English and Maths GCSEs
If you are a UK or EU student who is under 19 and has been accepted onto one of our Foundation Diploma in Art and Design courses, but did not achieve a grade C/4 or above in GCSE English or maths, you will be given the opportunity to retake the exams as part of your course. This is Government Policy (post 16 Study Programme) and UAL are obliged to undertake this and ensure that GCSE teaching is provided and that students attend.
When you enrol, you will need to provide evidence of your qualifications. We will automatically enrol you onto a compulsory GCSE study programme if you have not achieved a minimum of a grade C/4 in English or maths.
If this applies to you, it is important to note that attendance is mandatory and you will have to attend the sessions alongside your FAD course.
In addition those students who are taking the GCSE maths and English retake programme will ultimately be withdrawn from the Foundation Art and Design course as well if their attendance falls below the 85% level required, and this can happen at any point throughout the academic year. A separate attendance record is kept for these classes.
Here are a few key things to note:
We will keep a record of your attendance in accordance with the FE Agreed Absence and Attendance Policy. If you fail to turn up to your GCSE classes regularly and on time, your progress towards your Foundation Diploma could be affected.
- You must re-sit your GCSE English and/or maths exams as part of the study programme, but failure to achieve a grade C/4 or higher will not affect your achievements on your Foundation Diploma in Art and Design unless you fail to attend the retake programme.
- The exams do fall just out of term-time, but a weekly timetable will be distributed to enable you to plan your time accordingly.
- It is highly likely that a degree-level or post-graduate course at UAL or any other institution may require you to have a grade C/4 or higher in English and maths, so this is a good incentive to enable you to achieve the relevant grades.
- You will have the benefit of small, dedicated classes every week during term time with specialists within the field of education.