Floral Painting for Design Online Short Course
Florals adorn all forms of surface from fashion textiles to interiors to packaging, ceramics and beyond. With so many ways they can be painted, this course aims to ground you in five key approaches that have been loved and innovated upon for centuries. This hands on course will teach you the styles and techniques needed to grasp these approaches.
These approaches are:
- Botanical Floral Painting
- Chinoiserie painting with emphasis on Florals
- Floral painting for Screen Printing
- Line Drawn and Toile Floral Painting
- Dutch Still Life Floral Painting
As well as learning techniques and painting artworks, each module is peppered with the historic context of each approach.
Students will come away from the course confident handling a number of media and popular floral painting styles and with a portfolio of samples that can be built upon for their career in surface design be it in fashion textiles, home textiles, wallpaper painting, fine art, illustration, graphic design, ceramics/porcelain, stationary design or the luxury industry.
Who should take this course?
Those interested in enhancing their hand painted florals for surface design. This includes students or professionals in fashion textiles, interiors, illustration, fine art, decorative art, graphic design and contemporary craft.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please source the following materialsRecommended retailer Great Art, Jackson's. If ordering online, double check delivery times as they can take much longer than other retailers.
Each student should try to purchase for themselves at least 10 days before the course starts
- 0.4mm and 0.2mm fineliner (recommended brand ‘Uni Pin’) OR a 'Rotring Art Pen’ if you prefer a fountain pen
- Golden Fluid Acrylics 30ml bottle in : Quinacridone Magenta, Ultramarine Blue, Nickel Azo Yellow and optional Pthalo Green (Yellow Shade) Alternatively to be economical, you can use watercolour tubes from suggested brand Winsor and Newton (the yellow equivalent is Cadmium Yellow)
- 3 round tip synthetic brushes in sizes 2, 6 and 1Recommended brands: Cass Art, Raphael, Proarte Prolene. Can also find some good value packs
- Synthetic Rigger Brush size 0
- A4 Tear-off Palette pad in white
- Jar for water, Jar for flowers
- 200gsm Cartridge paper A3 (Min. 25 sheets)
- Hot Pressed Watercolour Paper for longer exercises (optional but recommended)
- Acrylic Paints in White, Magenta, Ultramarine Blue and Yellow. I recommend and will use brand Lascaux Studio Acrylics (but other brands are fine e.g. W&N): 85ml in Titanium White, Permanent Lemon Yellow, Primary Magenta, Ultramarine Blue Light)
- Tracedown A4 Graphite transfer paper 1-3 sheets needed
- Small square (10 x 10 cm) of red cellophane to help see tonally for observational painting (Optional)
- Fresh seasonal flowers for days 2,3,4 & 5
A comprehensive foundation in traditional hand painting and a sample portfolio from the course that can be built upon and used commercially to gain work or apply for further education.
Meet the Tutor:
Florals adorn all forms of surface from fashion textiles to interiors to packaging, ceramics and beyond. With so many ways they can be painted, this course aims to ground you in five key approaches that have been loved and innovated upon for centuries.