Fashion Styling and Creative Direction Online Short Course
This in-depth and extended short course will introduce you to the contemporary fashion media, and allow you time to develop a unique voice as a fashion stylist / creative director. You will gain insider knowledge and one-to-one industry advice - focused on your individual work and professional development. This course is suitable for beginners, or for fashion creatives with some experience ready to refine and push their portfolio to the next level.
This course has been designed during lockdown and will include workshops and guidance in how to produce publish-worthy shoots remotely. During the course you will be taught by a range of fashion industry professionals who are all currently working on innovative editorial and commercial work. By the end of the course you will have developed the necessary skills and contacts to begin producing and styling your own shoots. You will also create from scratch - or refine and develop - a portfolio of work that represents your unique point of view as a Fashion Stylist / creative director. To supplement the course, you will be given access to a private website (Workflow) that contains all of the lecture notes, weekly assignments and additional learning resources created and curated by John William. You will have access to all of these online resources for 6 months. On this site you will be able to upload your weekly work and interact with your fellow students - as well as share links or post questions for your tutor during the week - throughout the course.
We also offer a one day bite sized taster session of this course, if you book on the bite sized course and later decide to book onto this course, you will be refunded the bite sized course fee.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online Short Course materials:
- To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific materials:
- Image editing software and an application you can use to create presentations and mood boards (e.g. - Photoshop, PowerPoint, InDesign or Keynote)
- A DSLR camera (not essential but highly recommended)
- History of the fashion stylist and fashion media.
- Who are the key figures influencing fashion right now?
- A complete practical guide for creating fashion imagery: producing and preparing shoots.
- A guide to the different types of styling: editorial, commercial, music, personal.
- How to communicate with different professionals within the fashion industry (Editors, PRs, Model Agencies) and build your creative network.
- How to answer creative and commercial briefs, and how to pitch stories to clients and editors.
- What is Creative Direction? And how does it impact brand identity and the fashion image. Can a stylist work as a creative director?
- What is a trend? And how can we forecast fashion and lifestyle trends.
- Exploration of the contemporary Fashion Industry, and how the internet has impacted on traditional fashion media.
- Fashion Marketing and PR, and how stylists, creative directors and image makers work within these practices.
- How to edit images into a story. How Art Direction impacts on the fashion image, and how graphic design / presentation skills can enhance your personal portfolio.
- How to develop your research skills to enhance your work – using specialist archives, primary research and original references that will make you stand out.
- Guest speakers from a range of specialisms within the fashion industry.
- Workshops and live projects covering how to create publish-worthy fashion imagery remotely.
- Basic studio lighting & photographic skills – so you are able to create fashion imagery independently.
- Creation of (or developing an existing) personal portfolio of fashion images showing your own styling and creative direction.
This course includes weekly tasks and resources designed to guide your self-directed creative and professional development. During the course you will receive one-to-one intensive tutorials that will focus on your individual work and career path.
Meet the Tutor:
This in-depth and extended short course will introduce you to the contemporary fashion media, and allow you time to develop a unique voice as a fashion stylist / creative director. You will gain insider knowledge and one-to-one industry advice.