How do interviews work at UAL?
Once you've submitted your application, you may be invited to an interview.
Only some courses include an interview stage so check your course page.
All interviews are currently held either by phone or online via Microsoft Teams. Interview times are given in UK time, so please be aware of the time difference if you are outside of the UK.
How to prepare?
- Reread your course page and personal statement.
- Research relevant artists and styles.
- Do a practice interview with family or friends.
- Find a quiet space with good signal.
- If you're using Microsoft Teams, download the app and do a test run the day before your interview. Advice on how to use Microsoft Teams can be found below.
What do we look for?
- Knowledge and skills. Tell us about your creative journey so far. Use your personal statement and portfolio as helpful cues.
- Passion and curiosity. What excites and inspires you? We want to see your enthusiasm and curiosity for your subject area.
- Ask questions. This is just as much your opportunity to ask questions and make sure UAL is right for you.
- Creative potential. Tell us about your aspirations and how your course can help you achieve them.
- Confidence. It's natural to feel nervous but just try to be yourself. We just want to learn more about you and your love for your subject.
Advice from UAL staff and students
How to use Microsoft Teams
- Download the app or visit the website to sign up for free using your personal email address.
- The email confirming your interview will include an MS Teams link. A few minutes before your interview, click on this link to join the meeting.
3. You’ll then be admitted into the lobby area (waiting area). When your interviewer is ready, they will admit you into your interview.
We conduct virtual interviews to the same standard as in-person interviews. Please choose a quiet room, dress appropriately and make sure your phone is on silent.