This course will introduce you to the digital skills needed, to get you started in digital textile printing. Focusing on the two main print specific Adobe Products: Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator, you will learn how to generate repeat pattern designs.
The patterns will then be printed onto a silk bamboo fabric. Through step by step exercises, you will be introduced to the fundamental digital printed textile design techniques and learn the differences between the two main Adobe image editing packages.
Throughout the course you will consider how to adapt your design in relation to the final application, whether this be for a fashion, interior or fine art outcome.
It would be an advantage if you could bring along any of your own drawings, or photographic influences to inform your designs.
Youll leave the course with the ability to create pattern repeats in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. You will be able to prepare print ready documents and have a greater knowledge of the processes involved with digitally printing your textile designs onto fabric*. You may go on to create your own textile designs or apply for another digital textile printing course.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
- Introduction to Adobe Photoshop: Selecting and Layering Tools
- Preparing an image: scanning and cleaning
- Creating pattern designs using Adobe Photoshop
- Creating and editing vector shapes using Adobe Illustrator
- Polyester sample printing using a heat press
- Digital fabric printing on bamboo silk
Please bring the following materials with you on the first day:
- Notepad and Pen
- USB memory stick (Min 5GB - if possible)
- Any visual influences or examples of style of work you like (photographs/drawings) to turn into a pattern repeat
Please be advised that this course will be taught using the Adobe Creative Cloud.
You will need an Adobe ID to participate on the course.
You can set this up before the course starts at https://www.adobe.com/uk/ and select ‘Get an Adobe ID'.
If you already have an Adobe ID, please check your login details still work.
You do not need to subscribe to the software. This is free to students when studying in college on any UAL networked computer.
Please remember to write your login details down safely and bring these along on the first day of your course.