In this online short course, you will learn how to apply textile design skills to create coordinated collections of soft furnishings, tied together by your unique design elements. This course is ideal for someone with some textile design experience who wants to tackle larger projects or even prepare a collection to present to a retailer. By the end of this course you will have produced at least two collections that you can add to your portfolio, preparing you for a degree application or even to set up your own practice.
Each week you will explore, discover and experiment with new techniques. You will learn about the importance of trends in the textile industry, how to identify them and create collections based on them. This is a practical course where you will be challenged to create live task textile design drawings, colour palettes and geometric forms. You will also create your own textile print designs, learning how to print on fabric manually.
This course is taught through weekly online discussions and Q&As with your tutor that will explore the scope of textile designing. Each week your tutor will set you practical tasks to complete in your own time where you can apply what you have learnt from the online classes. At the end of the course you will present your collections and discuss where you might want to get your designs printed.
Creating Textile Design Collections gives you the opportunity to bring your ideas to life. This intermediate course is ideal for building your portfolio and your confidence in your design abilities. Its focus is both creative and commercial, pushing you to think outside the box at the same time as preparing you for a career in the textile design industry, whether as a fashion textile designer, interior designer or beyond.
Who is Creating Textile Design Collections Online Short Course for?
This textile design course is for individuals who have a basic knowledge of textile design who would like to deepen their understanding. It will help you take your ideas to the next step. You will learn how to work more professionally and turn your designs into finished collections, expanding your portfolio for a degree application or even preparing to open your own practice.
By the end of the course you will be able to;
- Create engaging portfolio layouts
- Create colour palettes
- Understand market trends
- Print on fabric manually
- Create your own collections
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain in easy to understand accessible English, if they use any special terminology we make sure they explain what it is they mean.
- New methodologies will be explained to you in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- We even include live demonstrations of particular techniques so that you can see exactly how things should be done.
- We also offer a bunch of learning resources for you to access outside of the live lessons. This allows you to ensure you are up to date and you can practice and review the things that are important to you. Practice makes perfect after all!
Live interactive classrooms:
- We like to do things the right way, that's why all of our online classes are live, you won't find any recordings here (well apart from the recording we provide in case you miss a live session)
- Expect live interaction with your classmates from around the world, our students come from far and wide
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Discuss topics related to your course in real time via your microphone and camera or if you're not feeling brave, in the chat box
- Miss a class? Thats ok you can catch up in a recording which is available for 2 weeks after your course runs
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- However we always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are a great addition to your C
All our online short courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes as our face to face courses
- Lesson recordings, for review, so you never have to miss a class
- Access to the virtual learning environment with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access to the recordings of the live classroom sessions
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time.
Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
If no dates are showing then please sign up to our mailing list to find out about upcoming dates and new course developments.
- Visual research and development of ideas
- Creating moodboards and themes
- The importance of trends for the textile industry
- Identifying market trends
- Trend forecasting
- Creating colour palettes
- Introduction to painting techniques
- Using motifs
- Presenting initial ideas
- Starting a new collection
- Creating engaging portfolio layouts
- Geometric forms
- How to create and design a repeat
- Printing on fabric manually
- Creating at least two collections employing colour trends
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
Please bring to your first session:
- A3 sketchbook
- A selection of paint brushes
- Acrylic paints
- MIXMAG magazine
- SELVEDGE magazine