Introduction to Sustainable Design Approaches in Fashion Short Course
The practical aspects of the course will focus on techniques to repurpose and up-cycle fabrics, such as patchwork, fabric manipulation, pattern cutting and embellishment. Throughout the course, there will be a highlight on the importance that Sustainability is a huge interconnected issue that encompasses a range of social, environmental and political issues.
You will come away from this course with methods to reduce your own environmental impact, having produce an upcycled garment and samples, and along with notes on other techniques to use, youll have learned about the wider context of sustainability.
Who should take this course?
Someone interested in learning about methods to work more sustainably within your own fashion project
Entry requirements: You should have a basic understanding of pattern cutting and sewing skills
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
- Up-cycling methods
- Re-thinking fabric sourcing
- Introduction to Zero Waste Pattern cutting
- Wider critique about the Fashion industry
- Suggestions for further techniques such as natural dyeing
Please bring with you for the class:
- Drawing equipment
- Fabric Scissors
- Basic sewing kit
- Stitch un-picker
- If you have pattern cutting equipment, please also bring this
A range of materials will be provided, however due to Covid regulations, if students would prefer to bring their own second hand fabrics or garments, this is strongly recommended.
Meet the Tutor:
This course is designed to introduce various approaches to Sustainability with a particular focus on up-cycling, and to form a critique surrounding impact and feasibility. Over the duration of the course you will experiment with different up-cycling techniques, learn to work and design more consciously, and create a garment for yourself using unsellable stock from charity shop sorting centres.