User Interface UI and Visual Design Online Short Course
User Interface (UI) or Visual Design is creating visual designs that are reflective of a brand while providing a seamless experience.
Whether you are a complete beginner, a visual designer who wants to add user interface (UI) design to your skillset, or a user experience (UX) designer who wants to learn more about visual design, this course provides you with the skills, tools and processes necessary to become a UI designer.
From analysing a creative brief, to learning the creative process, creating mood boards, and applying design theory principles to compelling user interfaces, you will gain the in-depth experience and skills you need to succeed as a user interface / visual designer.
By the end of this course you should be able to
- Incorporate basic principles of user experience (UX) design to determine and solve challenging user interface (UI) problems
- Develop wireframes of low-, mid-, and high-fidelity, before finalising the UI of a website or app
- Create clickable hi-fidelity prototypes of intuitive websites and apps
Who should attend
This course is for anyone interested or already involved in the design of user interfaces. You may be looking to develop the skills needed to start or transition to a career in user interface and visual design or you may be a user experience (UX) designer who want to learn visual design in order to create more compelling high-fidelity prototypes or to transition into UI design.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please bring for the first session:
- notebook and pen
- Analysing and summarising a creative brief into keywords to be explored through design ideation
- Ideating and creating a mood board that expresses a clear potential design direction
- Gestalt principles in UI design
- Web typography, colour and layout
- Defining common UI and navigation patterns.
- Developing wireframes of low-, mid-, and high-fidelity, before finalising the user interface
- Designing mobile and tablet compositions on a responsive grid
- Creating clickable hi-fidelity prototypes
Meet the Tutor:
Whether you are a beginner or a visual designer who wants to add user interface (UI) design to your skillset, or a user experience (UX) designer who wants to learn more about visual design, this course provides you with the skills, tools and processes necessary to become a UI designer.