BiographyI am an academic support lecturer at UAL and as such I assist students with their writing, planning and research skills. I have a particular interest in helping students to develop their voice in relation to the subjects they study, build confidence and a sense of ownership in their area. My own areas of experience are eclectic: art practice, academic research, journalism and philosophy and I would hope that this brings a useful perspective for students seeking advice and guidance especially since I privilege none of the above.
My art practice is concentrated on painting where I have tried to explore themes of change, rupture and reconfiguration often incorporating figurative and landscape elements. Recently I am preparing installation and sculptural features which will incorporate painted works into larger immersive spaces allowing for the development of narrative according to my current interest in monstrous intrusion, trauma and rationalisation.
I studied BA Fine Art at Wimbledon School of Art and my MA in Fine Art at UAL, I have also studied psychoanalysis at Birkbeck University and have a teaching qualification from Oaklands College in Hertfordshire. My education experience includes working as learning support for autistic and dyslexic students, acting as a pastoral support officer regarding the welfare of students and more recently teaching art history and contextual studies to Foundation and undergraduate students. I believe in the transformative potential of arts education as a form of social mobility, increased criticality as well as personal cultivation and self-awareness.
My PhD research is mixed mode incorporating equal written and made elements. This research entails an exploration of the relationship between landscape, monsters and subjectivity. The title, a reference to the medieval poem Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, is: The High Wasteland, Scar & Form in the English Landscape: what is the function of the monster in the English landscape? This project is in part directed as a critique of what has been called ‘proto-fascist’ thinking and draws heavily on the medieval poem, the practice of Wyndam Lewis and contemporary art practice concerned with ‘hauntology’ to explore these themes.
I have written for and acted as the Arts Editor for Trebuchet Magazine since 2016 where I am able to explore less formal journalistic writing practice, including writing: criticism, opinion pieces, interviews and fact based news about a multitude of arts and culture subjects. I have in this capacity been able to promote emergent practices and research as well as interview established artists and thinkers regarding their work.
I would like to think that I can be useful to any student seeking help with their projects and my own particular areas of strength would include; debates around art practice, painting, 20th century art movements, genres of writing, and the application of psychoanalytic methodologies in written and made works, I might add to this that I am rather good at making incongruous connections!
- Eden M. Red Knight
- Eden M. Dagonet
- Eden M. Enter Cogito
- Eden M. Inversely Related
- Eden M. Head with Spectre
- Eden M. Extricate
- Eden M. Gawain head (componant 1)
- Eden M. Gawain
- Eden M. Lady with Photocopier
- Eden M. Galahad
- Eden M. Morian
- Eden M. Teacher of Reason
- Eden M. Mutiny
- Eden M. The Weight
- Eden M. The Dance
- Eden M. Witness at court (lady)
- Eden M. Witness at court (foot-soldier)
- Eden M. Witness at court (Treasurer)
- Eden M. White Bishop
- Eden M. Duel
- Eden M. Alchemical transformations in soul and psyche (2018)
- Eden M. Hypnotic memories of the future (2018)
- Eden M. Pain, Wit and Gesture (2018)
- Eden M. Postmodernism ‘Phoenix’ In Commas (2018)
- Eden M. Broadcasting Dissent, Investigative Journalist Abby Martin (2018)
- Eden M. China's Contemporary Cultural Revolution, Voicing the Tensions of a Democratised Culture (2018)
- Eden M. Brexit: The Betrayal of the Young
- Eden M. William Kentridge In Praise of Shadows
- Eden M. Joker, a Film to Fall Out Over?
- Eden M. Alter-modern, Claiming a New Era
- Eden M. Futurism, Vorticism and the Prescience of H.G. Wells (Part Two)
- Eden M. Saw it Coming. Futurism, Vorticism and the Prescience of H.G. Wells
- Eden M. All Wrong: the misguided adventures of an art world hero (Grayson Perry)
- Eden M. Neo-Modernism: soul nourishing renaissance
- Eden M. Painterly Process and Human Traces
- Eden M. Meta Modernity & The End of Postmodernity?
- Eden M. No Heroic Male Master
- Eden M. Spiralling Intentionally Towards Figuration
- Eden M. The Movements of the Idiot: Are We All Ironic Now?
- Eden M. Exclaim Galatea
- Eden M. Keys and Red Herrings
- Eden M. Alienated Ambiguity
- Eden M. The Architecture of a Problem (Psychoanalysis and Creative Practice)
- Eden M. You’re Not Living You’re Just Killing Time
- Eden M. Postmodernism: Living a Lie Dreaming the Truth
- Eden M. Postmodernism & Its Discontents
- Eden M. Equivalence & the Loss of the Engaged Human
- Eden M. Creative and Critical Curation at the Mostyn Gallery
- Eden M. Cyril de Commarque Interview
- Eden M. Three-sided World; Interview with Stuart Jones
- Eden M. The Eclipse of Postmodernism: wishful thinking or concrete fact?
- Eden M. The Movements of the Idiot: Are We All Ironic Now? (Part Two)
- Eden M. Nothing Happens at All, Part Three: Charity
- Eden M. Wyndham Lewis, Grayson Perry, David Baddiel and Masculinity
- Eden M. Blasted Feminism: Group X, Wyndham Lewis, and Women
- Eden M. (Turk) (Must) (Do) (Better) A Critical Review of Wittgenstein’s Dream
- Eden M. Phillip Allen Body & Mind
- Eden M. Sure we can, but SHOULD we? Digital Head and the Ethics of Intelligence
- Eden M. (Why) Nothing Ever Happens, Nothing Happens at All
- Eden M. I Can’t Do that, Dave. Artificial Intelligence, Dada and the Ethics of Perception
- Eden M. Stimulating the Simulcra. Can Humans be Trusted With Artificial Intelligence?
- Eden M. The Right Business: Politics and the Randian Hero
- Eden M. Why the Size of Trump’s Hands Matters: Deconstructing the Randian Superman
- Eden M. Caliban’s Rage at the Blank Touchscreen: On Becoming a 21st Century Savage
- Eden M. What the Dickens! The End of the Social Climber?
- Eden M. Geoff Diego Litherland, Painter of Another Present
- Eden M. The Ticking Bomb, Torture & the CIA
- Eden M. Postmodernism: Anti-Art reflecting a knowing society
- Eden M. Postmodernity, a Trinity of Crises
- Eden M. Max Klinger & The Freudian Unconscious
- Eden M. What Dreams May Come?
- Eden M. Damien Meade, Duality, Beginnings & Endings
- Eden M. And When the Sleeper Wakes? (H.G.Wells, Wyndham Lewis and Nietzche)
- Eden M. Escaping the Vortex: Would Wyndham Lewis Have Approved?
- Eden M. Friends as Enemies and Enemies as Friends...(Wyndham Lewis)
- Eden M. Blasting Out of the Vortex: Wyndham Lewis and Vorticism
- Eden M. Science & Modern Man, the right (and wrong) way to take Wyndham Lewis.
- Eden M. Sympathy/Empathy: The Very Air That Evil Breathes.
- Eden M. The Ivory Tower, Trump, and the Eclipse of Dignity
- Eden M. President Trump, Napoleon and The Eclipse of Dignity
- Eden M. Decolonising Higher Education, But What Does it Mean?
- Eden M. Terracotta Daughters 2012-2030
- Eden M. Sonia Boyce and a Meta Criticism of the Critics
- Eden M. Ghost Cities and the Art that Haunts Them
- Eden M. Against the Indignities of Trump, We Are Either All Together, or We Fall
- Eden M. In, Out, Shake it All About. What Politicians Forget About a Unified Europe
- Eden M. Debt, Housing, Creative Solutions: Construct the Future at Hoxton Gallery
- Eden M. ‘We Can Make You Blind’ The Adventures of Cambridge Analytica
- Eden M. Possessions, Suffering, Charity: Why Nothing Ever Happens (Part Two)
Conference, Symposium or Workshop item
- Eden M. Breaking into and Out of Academic Writing (2019)
Journalism, PR, media and publishing