skip to main content

Fees and funding for Canadian students

We understand that higher education involves a major financial investment. The information on this page gives you an overview of the costs involved in studying with UAL and the various ways that you can support your studies.

Tuition fees

Tuition fees cover the cost of teaching and the use of facilities while you're studying at UAL. They differ depending on whether you're studying on a foundation, undergraduate or graduate course. You can see a summary of all UAL fees on the tuition fees page, or visit our course pages to check the exact cost of the course you’re interested in.

Tuition fees at UAL refer to the annual cost of the course rather than the cost per semester. For most courses, the annual tuition fee must be paid in full before the start of each academic year.

It is possible to pay your fees in instalments for some postgraduate courses, but all students must still meet strict financial requirements set by UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI). UKVI require you to have enough funds to cover the tuition fee for the first year of your course, plus a certain amount of money for living costs.

As a Canadian student, you will be classified as an international student when it comes to tuition fees. If you are unsure of your fee status, you can confirm this by visiting the UK Council for International Students Affairs website.

A hand holding a small boardgame with black and white tiles and a pink pointer over a wooden display box
Boardgame by Finn Fleming and Nichola Humphreys, BA (Hons) Game Design, London College of Communication, © Ben Turner

Funding for Canadian students


UAL offers a range of scholarships to Canadian students studying at postgraduate level, including the £5,000 UAL International Postgraduate Scholarship. You can use our scholarships search tool to explore the options available and find out how to apply.

Postgraduate students can also apply for a Chevening Scholarship. These are fully-funded scholarships to pursue a one-year master’s degree in the UK.

Search for other external scholarships that you may be eligible for on


As a student from Canada, you can apply for provincial funding for international studies. The 5 major Canadian banks also provide loans to international students. Take a look at our Canadian Financial Aid Guide for more information. Our Funding team can help you with this process if you email them on

A student holding their notebook open on two pages full of notes
Lara van Huyssteen, BA (Hons) Contemporary Theatre and Performance, Wimbledon College of Arts, © Alys Tomlinson

Working in the UK

Working part-time is a great way to help you cover your living costs while also boosting your future job prospects. And we’re here to help you find the right job for you.

Creative Opportunities is UAL’s industry jobs and work placement website, which advertises jobs and paid internships.

Arts Temps provides exciting job opportunities to UAL students and alumni, offering paid temporary jobs across UAL. It will soon also be offering roles with external organisations. Working for Arts Temps gives you excellent work experience and hands-on opportunities to help build your skills and CV .

There are limits to the number of hours you can work on a study visa, so make sure you check the rules before you take on a part-time job. Your BRP (Biometric Residence Permit) card, or the visa stamp in your passport, will outline if you are allowed to work, and any working restrictions that you must follow.

A student intern sat at a table with a colleague in a contemporary art gallery
Cem Hamlacibasi during his Internship at Narrative Projects, © Alys Tomlinson

Accommodation, healthcare and living costs

As well as tuition fees, you should make sure you're prepared for the other costs that come with studying and living in the UK. There might be some additional costs for materials and field trips on your course, which you can check on the course page.

Accommodation is likely to be your biggest expense. UAL has a number of student rooms in our halls of residence, which are available to international students. Private rented housing in London varies widely in price, ranging anywhere from £150 per week to over £500 per week. Most students live a little further away from the centre of London as it’s more affordable.

Other living costs will include household bills if you're in private accommodation, plus food, cell phone costs, and travel, although international students can get 30% off public transport in London.

If you need a visa and are staying for more than 6 months, you’ll have to pay an immigration health surcharge as part of your visa application. After registering with a doctor this will give you access to the UK healthcare system, the National Health Service (NHS), at no additional cost. You may need to pay for dental and optical treatment as well as medicine prescribed by the doctor.

University halls common room with stone grey features, hanging lights and a foosball table
Common room, The Costume Store halls of residence, © Ideal Insight