Join this short course for a thorough and practical introduction to landscape photography, an in-demand area of editorial and commercial photography. You will learn about the history of landscape photography as well as contemporary approaches, explored through the work of influential photographers. You will be introduced to techniques, equipment and camera settings used in landscape photography and work on practical assignments.
Over the years landscape photography has developed from its origins capturing the sublime to pristine and now increasingly explores human's impact on the world, making it more relevant than ever.
Through a combination of theory and practice the course will provide you with necessary conceptual and technical skills to create strong, single landscape images as well as a landscape photography project. By the end of the course you will be able to contextualise your photographic practice and understand the possible routes of development for your work.
- History of landscape photography and contemporary landscape photography
- Why the practice of landscape photography matters today
- Landscape photography settings: RAW, shutter speed, aperture, ISO sensitivity, exposure
- Shooting techniques: composition and framing, understanding natural light, creating depth
- Production of strong individual landscape images as well as a photographic series
- Post-production tools with Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop: layers, masks, adjustment layers, colour management
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- Understand the history of landscape photography as well as contemporary approaches
- Understand the uses of landscape specific equipment
- Use photo shooting techniques particular to landscape photography to increase the overall image strength
- Produce strong single landscape images and create a photographic landscape series
- Edit images to create a strong photographic landscape
- Process and retouch photographs using Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop
Who Should Attend
Photographers and enthusiasts with an interest in learning to photograph landscapes for a personal or professional portfolio, or looking to commence a career in landscape photography.
You may be interested in developing your work for commercial work, editorial publications, galleries or to record your personal travels and journeys.
Beginner/Intermediate. You should have basic computer knowledge and be able to use a camera competently.
Follow Up Courses
After you have completed this course you may want to build a larger body of work by taking Photography Portfolio or Documentary Photography - Seeing the World. Or you may want to learn more about Architectural Photography.
We also offer bespoke photography courses for groups, individuals and businesses. To find out more, visit our Customised Training page
Freya Najade is an award winning London-based photographer born in Germany. Her work has been exhibited worldwide and published in prestigious publications such as The Guardian, the British Journal of Photography (BJP), The Times, Die Zeit, Businessweek and BBC. Her personal project "Jazorina" was released as a book by Kehrer Verlag in 2016 and "Along the Hackney Canal" by Hoxton Mini Press later that year. The latter received the Best in Book Award by Creative Review. Freya Najade received a Masters Degree with Distinction in Photojournalism and Documentary Photography from London College of Communication in 2009. She also holds a Masters Degree in Teaching, with Distinction. Since her graduation from LCC, Freya splits her time working on long-term personal projects and on commissions. Outside of her own professional practice Freya co-founded the architectural photography studio NAARO.
This course will be taught by a respected industry expert.