Introduction to Drawing Skills Online Short Course
Introduction to Drawing Skills will help you develop core skills that have a wide range of creative applications. At the beginning of the course we will work through simple exercises that provide new ways of looking at individual objects, still life and the model. To strengthen the abstract qualities in your work and help overcome literal-mindedness, time will be given to analysing form in space, studying light and shade and considering composition and pictorial design.
In the second half of the course you will be introduced to simple techniques and experimental processes to enable you to develop a more personal or meaningful interpretation of your subject matter. The course is for mixed ability students, and it is taught using sound educational methods and sensitive personal tutoring.
At the end of the course, you will have a portfolio of drawings in several media, and a clear glimpse of what makes drawing such a uniquely satisfying activity.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time.
Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
Still life / objects – line and observational basics, tone, texture and pattern.
Composition and the thumbnail.
Figure – line. Observational basics - how to draw the figure. Drawing using line and wash.
Perspective – how to draw space simply, then understanding perspective constructions.
Portrait basics, movement and multi-figure composition.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please source the following materials:
- willow charcoal medium
- A3 drawing cartridge paper
- black fine tip felt marker
- black medium tip felt marker
- black chisel (wedge) tip felt marker
- white chalk or conte crayon
- 2B pencil
- black ink
- brush for ink
- coloured pencils or markers
Meet the Tutor:
This online short course will introduce you to drawing skills. You will cover a wide range of create applications, including light, composition and design.