Fashion Buying and Merchandising - Luxury Brands Online Short Course
This online short course will help you become a more confident buyer and merchandiser within the luxury retail sector. You will be immersed in the world of high-end fashion as you learn the business skills you need to buy and sell profitably at the exclusive luxury end of the retail market.
You will be guided by an experienced industry professional, as you learn about the key drivers of the sector – the customers, brands, product categories, business models - as well as essential skills such as trend forecasting, range planning, negotiating, sales analysis and trading.
Each week you will work on practical projects with the support of your tutor and classmates from around the world. You will receive personal feedback, and will develop a detailed understanding of the sector, the customers, and the concept of luxury.
This course is ideal for fashion professionals who wants to focus on a business career within the luxury retail industry. You will learn how to apply your creative instincts to spot trends and select garments and products that will delight your customers, as well as the technical skills such as creating budgets and managing the supply chain that are needed to run a profitable retail outlet.
By the end of the course you will have an understanding of;
- Understand the role of fashion luxury brands in the industry
- Create mood boards to communicate your ideas
- Conduct trend research
- Complete a SWOT analysis
- Understand sales analysis and strategy techniques
- Know who your customer is
- Tips on becoming a successful luxury fashion buyer from an industry professional
- Assembling your own range
Who is Fashion Buying and Merchandising: Luxury Brands Online Short Course for?
This course is tailor made for individuals who want to better understand the fashion and merchandising world. It is designed for fashion professionals looking to plan a career as a luxury fashion buyer or merchandiser.
The projects you'll be asked to undertake involve mathematical formulae therefore it's essential you have an understanding of maths to GCSE level C or equivalent. You will also need some prior knowledge of buying and merchandising, ideally within the fashion industry. If you are completely new to the area you may want to consider our Fashion Buying and Merchandising online course.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please bring for the first session:
- notebook and pen
- The concept of luxury
- The role of the fashion planning team: the buyer and the merchandiser
- Luxury brands and retailers
- Understanding your customer
- How to conduct trend research
- Strategy and preparation
- Sales analysis
- Competitor shopping
- SWOT analysis (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunity, Threats)
- Creating budgets
- Trading: OTB (Open to Buy)
- Upcoming markets and new technology
- How to create mood boards
- Key strategy ideas
Meet the Tutor:
This Fashion Buying and Merchandising online short course covers the area of luxury brands. You will develop practical skills and knowledge in this exciting field, everything from trend research, SWOT analysis to product selection.