Press and PR for Artists Online Short Course
In this four week course you will set goals and identify relevant publications and exposure for your work. You will learn how to write about your work, structure a press release, pitch your stories and give effective interviews. You will do this through personal assignments and gain feedback from your tutor and peers.
By the end of the course you will have a better understanding of;
- The media and the most relevant exposure for your work
- How to identify stories and appropriate media outlets
- How to write about your work confidently for press
- How to structure effective press releases
- How to pitch your work to print and media
- How to give a strong interview
- How to manage your artistic practice to include self promotion
Who is Press and PR for Artists For?
This course is perfect for artists, independent creatives wishing to gain exposure in the press or media or anyone responsible for promoting the work of artists to the press and media.
Level: All levels welcome
Why choose an CSM Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. The real-time chat sessions are fully interactive allowing you to communicate easily with the tutor at the same time as fellow students. Additionally all CSM Online Short Courses include;
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- CSM Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time.
Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
- Time Management: Balancing self promotion with your artistic practice
- Understanding the Media and opportunities for coverage.
- Identifying relevant media exposure for your work
- Identifying powerful stories hooks, human interest and new angles
- Writing and knowing when to use biographies and artist statements
- Structuring and Writing a Press Release
- Pitching your story to journalists
- Interview Techniques
- Overcoming personal barriers
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Meet the Tutor:
In an increasingly competitive art market, the practice of selling through intermediaries is rapidly disappearing. The necessity for artists to promote their own work is becoming an essential skill for artists and independent creatives who wish to succeed and thrive.
This course is designed to empower and equip artists to overcome personal barriers and gain the confidence, practical knowledge and skills to generate valuable media coverage for their work and practice.