Interior Lighting Design Online Short Course
This online course will teach and inspire you to design with light. Well-designed lighting can transform interior spaces, and it is a crucial design element to consider and plan from the outset of your projects.
This course is a guide to lighting design. The tutor will explain what to consider as you plan a lighting scheme, how to calculate lighting levels, position fittings and create the desired mood within a space. Then, through creating mood boards and sketches you’ll develop a range of your own lighting solutions and lighting ideas in response to industry style briefs.
Finally, you will learn how to draw up a lighting plan featuring various types of lighting and specify the fittings required as you design a scheme for a specific space. This work will result in a final complete design for your portfolio, illustrating a fully-formed lighting plan using a professional key.
The digital classroom will enable you to communicate with your fellow classmates and tutor, and each class will include presentations of theory, practical design techniques and methods, and chances for lively Q&A and discussion. You will also receive personalised feedback on your practical work from your tutor, an industry specialist.
You’ll gain an insight into the different ways you can create ambiance and different functional spaces with light, whilst developing your technical knowledge and planning and design skills. By the end of the course you will be able to work with natural light and a range of artificial lighting solutions, to respond to professional client briefs and maximise the potential of a range of residential interior spaces.
Who is Interior Lighting Design Online Short Course for?
This course is designed for individuals wishing to broaden their knowledge of interior lighting design. An ideal introduction for aspiring lighting designers, interior designers, or those with a personal domestic interest in the subject.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course specific materials
Please ensure you have the following materials with you for the first session:
- Notebook & Pen
- Technical 'clutch' pencil size 0.5
- Circle template
- 45 degree set square
- Pair of scissors
- Scale Ruler with scales 1:50, 1:20, 1:25
- Lighting effects, beam angles, and fittings
- Inspirational artists
- Focal points and sightlines
- Preparing mood boards with key adjectives
- Working with furniture and mirrors
- Layouts, colours, materials and window treatments
- How to light artwork
- Creating technical sketches of the space
- Working with regulations and electrical codes
- Final lighting plan, adding dimensions and using a key
- Preparing a client brief
- Communicating ideas to contractors
- An introduction to professional lighting design applications
By the end of the course you will have;
- Understand the fundamental principles of the lighting design process
- Be confident with associated technical language
- Gained an insight into how to use artificial and natural lighting within various interior spaces
- Have developed knowledge of the technology needed to create lighting effects
- Have the confidence to speak to contractors and lighting designers
- Be able to interpret briefs from clients
- Received personalised feedback from your tutor, an industry professional on each of your assignments
Meet the Tutor:
This online course will teach you to design with light. Capable of having a transformative effect, well-designed lighting can alter the atmosphere of a space and is a crucial design element to consider and plan from the onset of your project.