Interior Lighting Design (Online Short Course)
This online course will teach and inspire you to design with light. Capable of having a transformative effect, well designed lighting can alter the atmosphere of an interior and is a crucial design element to consider and plan from the outset of your project.
We’ll begin by explaining what to consider as you plan a lighting scheme, how to calculate lighting levels, and position fittings and create the desired mood within a space. You will learn how to draw up a lighting plan and specify the fittings required as you design a scheme for a specific space.
- Planning a lighting scheme
- How to achieve and use lighting effects
- Using natural light
- Artificial lighting, technologies and controls
- Working with regulations
- Drawing a lighting plan
- Writing a specification
- Communicating ideas to clients and contractors
By the end of the course you will;
- Understand the fundamental principles of the lighting design process
- Be confident with the associated technical language
- Have developed knowledge of the technology needed to create lighting effects
- Know to use artificial and natural lighting within an interior space
- Have the confidence to speak to contractors and lighting designers
- Be able to take briefs from clients.
Who is Interior Lighting Design (Online) for?
The course is ideal for design professionals wishing to hone and build on their skills, as well as current and future students keen to understand and design lighting schemes.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and over
Why choose a Chelsea Arts College Online Short Course
Our online courses allow you to experience Chelsea College of Arts wherever you are in the world. Additionally all Online Short Courses include;
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- Chelsea College Certificate upon completion
Further details about the Online Short Courses on offer at Chelsea college of Arts can be found here
View PDF to explore progression: Interior Design: Your Journey [188kb]
Debbie Blandford has a Masters Degree from the Royal College of Art and 28 years experience working as design consultant to architectural practices and individual clients. She has a passion for working collaboratively and globally, resulting in a truly eclectic career. Projects have included hotels, bars and restaurants, aviation design, exhibitions, and high end residential interiors.
Clients have included the government of Saudi Arabia. Debbie also designs Furniture offering a truly bespoke interior service as well as developing products with Ross Lovegrove.
Alongside her professional career she has taught part time across all educational levels in both the public and private sectors as well as delivering specialist courses for companies including British Airways, The Foreign Office and the Victoria and Albert Museum. Currently Associate Lecturer at The University of the Arts London & Professor at Syracuse University.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
Please ensure you have the following materials with you for the first session:
- Notebook & Pen
- Technical 'clutch' pencil size 0.5
- Circle template
- 45 degree set square
- Pair of scissors
- Scale Ruler with scales 1:50, 1:20, 1:25