Data Science for Beginners
Driven by the massive growth in data generated by our digitalised world, data science is one of the fastest growing jobs in the UK. Good data scientists are in demand in all areas of communications: design, journalism, advertising, PR, film; TV, VR/AR and VFX.
Get started in this exciting field by learning how to prepare, analyse and visualise data using Python.
- Introduction to Data Science: looking at what data science is and some typical data science applications
- Being a Data Scientist: looking at what data scientists do and the tools they use
- The Machine Learning Process: working through a small example project, understanding the general approach and process for organising and executing a typical machine learning task using Python
- Use of “unplugged” (i.e. non-computer based) activities to reinforce understanding
- Build more Machine Learning Techniques: building on the first exercise, we will learn new techniques such as classification, regression, and evaluating algorithms using Python
- Acquiring and Cleaning Data: looking at where to collect data from and how to clean it and manipulate it into the right format using Python
- Data Visualisation: looking at ways to present and visualise data and implement some code to visualise our data using Python
- Data Science Challenge: looking at some typical data science questions and then working collaboratively to investigate and report back our answers
By the end of the course you should be able to:
- Understand the typical tasks and activities of a data scientist
- Load and manipulate data sets
- Write Python code to analyse data using machine learning and other techniques
- Write Python code to visualise data
Who Should Attend
This course is ideal for you if you are working in a role that works with data, such as a advertising, journalism, design or computing, and you want to know more about getting value from data.
You do not need any previous programming knowledge but you should be comfortable installing software, downloading and moving files.
Follow Up Courses
Once you have completed this course, you may be interested in learning more about Digital Design or Programming with Python for Beginners.
We offer bespoke courses for groups, individuals and businesses. To find out more visit the Customised Training page.
Online short courses
Did you know we offer a similar course online? UAL online short courses are designed to help creative people master new challenges, develop their skills, get inspired by new ideas and access the UAL learning experience without having to travel to a campus for class.
Llewelyn Fernandes is a computer scientist, educator and maker. Llewelyn has a Computer Science degree from Brunel University and 30 years of industry experience in programming, research and consultancy for clients including Shell, ITV, Channel 5, Laing O'Rourke, The Princes Trust and Hitachi Consulting.In 2017 he changed direction to focus on introducing young people and career changers to the hot topics in computer science through creative, hands-on workshops. He teaches at various institutions in London and runs regular free events.
This course will be taught by a respected industry expert.