Skip to main content


Check our guidance to see when you may be able to request a refund from UAL and what you need to do.

How to get a refund


If you've applied to UAL and paid a deposit but no longer wish to join, you may be able to request a refund using UAL Portal if you meet any of the following conditions:

  • You formally decline your place within 14 calendar days of the University receiving your deposit payment.
  • Your visa application is refused. A copy of the refusal letter must be sent alongside your refund request.
  • You do not meet the conditions of your study offer in time to enrol on your course.
  • You have other exceptional reasons for not taking up your study place including serious illness, bereavement, medical emergency or long-term medical care of a close family member. Medical evidence may be required.
  • The course is cancelled and a satisfactory alternative cannot be found.
  • You requested to defer your place but UAL declined your request.

Deferred entry

If you've already paid your deposit but decide to defer your place, your deposit will be kept by UAL.

Enrolled students

If you're an enrolled student and entitled to a refund, submit a refund request via the ‘my Finance’ section of the UAL Portal.

Important information

  • All refunds will be made to the individual or organisation that originally paid the fees. If a third party has made the payment on behalf of the student the refund is made to the third party.
  • Refunds can only be made to the account which the original payment was made from.
  • If you are entitled, refunds will be processed within 21 days of receiving a correctly completed refund request.
  • All refunds will be made in £ sterling. Any bank charges or currency conversion costs incurred in making a refund shall be borne by the student or the third party receiving the payment.