Skip to main content

Student visa enrolment - applications made inside the UK

Not all students can extend or switch into the Student visa route from inside the UK. Read our Student visas guidance to see what’s possible for you.

If your application to extend or switch into the Student visa route is successful, you will need to follow these steps to enrol at UAL.

You must prove your immigration status using a share code. If you’re a visa national you will be issued with a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card.

BRP cards expire on 31 December 2024

All BRP cards are currently valid until 31 December 2024. From 1 January 2025 you will not need a BRP. You will be able to prove your immigration status online.

You do not need to tell UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) if your BRP expires on 31 December 2024 but your immigration status allows you to stay longer.

UKVI will update its BRP guidance in early 2024. Your immigration status will not be affected.

Check your visa for errors

You must check your BRP card for errors. If you have received your visa in the form of an online eVisa/digital status, you must check your decision letter or email for errors.

If you think your visa has an error or if your visa is lost or stolen, read our Student visa guidance and contact our Student Advice Service.

You must check that your expiry date is correct. It is important that you check the expiry date as soon as your visa is granted.

Depending on the length of your course, your visa expiry date will account for an additional 2-4 months leave at the end of your course. This is known as the ‘wrap-up period’.

Check whether your expiry date is correct:

  • For a course of 12 months or less in length: course end date plus 2 months
  • For a course of more than 12 months in length: course end date plus 4 months

You must also check your visa for confirmation of the number of working hours you are permitted to carry out during your studies.

Your work conditions will depend on the type of course you are studying and the level of study.

Does it have the correct work conditions?

  • 10 hours for further education
  • 20 hours for Undergraduate and Postgraduate
  • No work for part-time Postgraduate

UAL Portal upload checklist

Upload the following documents to the 'my Online Registration' section of your UAL Portal.

Either evidence of your visa decision:

  • A PDF of your share code if you received a eVisa/digital visa status.
  • A copy of your visa decision notice which may be an email or letter.
  • A copy of the front and back of your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card if you received one.

Or evidence of submitting an in-time visa application:

  • A copy of your current or previous visa vignette (sticker in your passport) or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) - which must have been valid at the time you submitted your visa extension application.
  • Your UKVI payment confirmation email or your UKVI Document Checklist which can be downloaded from your online visa application portal. View an example UKVI Document Checklist (PDF 127KB).

Help and support

If your visa application has been unsuccessful, contact us by replying to the email we sent confirming you’re eligible to begin enrolment. It’s called ‘Start your enrolment: Online registration open’.

You must send us your decision notice. You must also contact our Student Advice Service for urgent immigration advice.