Textile Art for 16 to 18 Year Olds Short Course
On this course you will explore and develop a variety of textile methods to gain an insight into how and where textiles are used in creative practices, from fine art, fashion and jewellery to communication, architecture and theatre design. You will experience a very different approach to making work and will be encouraged to take risks and experiment with your ideas, discovering new ways of working, which will help with your GCSE and A levels.
Who should take this course?
Suitable for anyone taking art and design or textiles GCSE. Perhaps you are thinking about applying to a Foundation course. Or, maybe you are just inquisitive and keen to learn about the ever-growing textile sector and gain new textile skills?
By the end of the course you will have had fun exploring and experimenting with a number of key textile techniques and mark making approaches. You will leave the course with a vibrant array of design work and textile samples, artworks and final ideas. These can be used when building a portfolio for university, or just for inspiration to inform a future project.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
Summer stays for 16 to 18 year olds
Did you know UAL accommodation is available for short course students during summer? We offer two packages both include accommodation, breakfast, and 24 hour Student Ambassador support.
Add to your experience with a Summer Stays Social Package
Available between 18 July 2022 and ends on 12 August 2022. This package includes an events calendar put on by our Social Programme with daily activities. Find out more.
Accommodation only - available between 30 June 2022 and ends on 27 August 2022.
Short course students also receive a discounted rate when booking. Find out more and book your place.
You will be taught a number of textile skills:
- Research skills
- Design development
- How to draw for development of your textiles
- Hand knit
- Off-loom weaving
- Macrame / knotting
- How to present work for a portfolio
Please bring with you to the first session:
- A4 sketchbook
- Drawing materials including coloured felt pens, pastels or pencils, paints and a vriety of paint brushes
- Black fine liner pen
- Glue stick
- Old sponges to draw with
- Knitting needles - size 6mm and 4mm
- Crochet hook - size 6mm and 4mm
- Coloured yarns - double knit, chunky and Aaron (please buy yarns that are the correct thickness for 6mm and 4mm)
- A ball of string
- Coloured embroidery threads and sewing needle to fit threads
- A selection of newspapers, card board boxes and other found materials from home e.g. net fruit bags, wire coat hangers, old bottle tops, egg cartons etc.
- Any scrap fabrics or old garments that you don't mind cutting up.
Meet the Tutor:
Do you want to gain new skills for producing exciting textile art? On this teenagers course you will explore different textile methods with an emphasis on utilising textiles for art or adornment.